Generator came out of a RV?

Old 12-29-05, 05:12 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Generator came out of a RV?

My buddy has a generator that came out of a RV that some one gave him. He said when they took it out it was working fine on the RV. I use one on a regular bases that is up untill a few months back when someone decided they needed my Hobart 4500 more than I did and helped themselves to it as well as a load of other things of mine. Over $4000 worth of my stuff. Anyway, he said I was welcomed to thi generator if I wanted to try it. My question is has any of yall ever done this? Do you think it is worth my time and money to go throught this generator and tune it up and maybe even rewire it to use like I would my Hobart?

Thanks
Jim

Old 12-29-05, 01:27 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
not sure ... you have to fabricate a panel and bypass any remote functions. it will need a fuel tank, start battery, and maybe and exaust system. get it running and test it for output before you spend anything on it and locate a dealer for parts info and availability. some of those onans can be expensive to maintain and repair with dealers few and far . this would likely make a better standby install than a portable if it is of reasonable size.

Old 12-29-05, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Jim,

Sorry but what you are asking about is not practical.
A generator for stand-by power use is wired vastly different than a welder.

You don't say how big this generator is but the closest it would come to being usefull in welding is to possibly power up a small mig welder.
I have a 5 kw generator that I have used to power my 220 volt MM-150 mig welder.
The generator can keep up if I use the welder at less than full power.

Old 12-29-05, 03:51 PM
M
Greg, I may be wrong, but I think he said someone stole his 4500 watt Hobart gen., not a Hobart welder.
The RV gen will need all the OP said but the remote start switch could be mounted wherever you want, perhaps right by the transfer switch.
Mike

Old 12-29-05, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Ya, you could be right.

Here is what I thought he had:

Click image:

Image credit: hobartwelders.com

Old 12-30-05, 05:03 AM
M
So how about it,Jim123? Do you want to make this RV gen do as the one Greg posted? If so, I agree with Greg.
Mike

Old 01-07-06, 03:05 AM
J
Yes, What Greg shows is the Hobart 4500 generator/stick welder. The best dang piece of machinery I had ever owned. I've ran that thing day and night time after time and when it was stolen it would still fire up first pull and work all day with you. I cant brag on the 4500 eneough. So I guess I will start saving the green backs again and get another Hobart. Thanks for your input guys.

Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: