where to get discontinued table saw motor?

Old 12-31-05, 09:54 AM
zbest85
Visiting Guest
where to get discontinued table saw motor?

Delta 34-710 !0" table saw.
Looking to replace the motor but Delta says it's discontinued.
Any clues where one might be located?

Thanks

Old 12-31-05, 10:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
where to get discontinued table saw motor

If the motor is suspended on a rotable plate, and runs via belt, you could take the motor data off the plate and order one from WW Grainger. The mount would be the same if the motor type is duplicated. Now, if it is direct drive, then drop back and punt, because, I am sure, the manufacturer built in a non-substitutive bracket somewhere.
Good luck.

Larry

Old 12-31-05, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I'm afraid that what you have is a direct drive saw that uses a motor that is specific to that model.
Based on helping a friend replace a motor he bought for a similar Craftsman saw, he nearly could have replaced the saw for what the motor cost.
I would suggest that the only feasible way of repairing that saw might be to have it rewound.
If you call a motor rewind shop they could likely tell you if it's dooable or not.
If you do look into having the motor repaired, be sure you take deal directly with the shop that will be doing the rewinding.
There are quite a few shops advertising motor repairs but farm out a lot of the work.

Really though, it may be time for a new saw.
If you worked your saw hard enough to wear out the motor it may be time to upgrade to a belt driven one.
A thing to be aware of is that some less expensive tablesaws advertise them as being belt drive but what they really have is a cheap brush type motor that uses a belt right inside the motor housing.
What you want is the type that has a big motor hanging off the back with a fan belt to a mandrel.

Good luck.

Old 12-31-05, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
have you tried motor shops ?

I would expect almost every town has at least one shop that repairs electric motors I can think of two in this area without evan looking in the yellow pages

should be able to get it rebuilt.

Old 12-31-05, 03:17 PM
zbest85
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by GregH
I'm afraid that what you have is a direct drive saw that uses a motor that is specific to that model.
Based on helping a friend replace a motor he bought for a similar Craftsman saw, he nearly could have replaced the saw for what the motor cost.
I would suggest that the only feasible way of repairing that saw might be to have it rewound.
If you call a motor rewind shop they could likely tell you if it's dooable or not.
If you do look into having the motor repaired, be sure you take deal directly with the shop that will be doing the rewinding.
There are quite a few shops advertising motor repairs but farm out a lot of the work.

Really though, it may be time for a new saw.
If you worked your saw hard enough to wear out the motor it may be time to upgrade to a belt driven one.
A thing to be aware of is that some less expensive tablesaws advertise them as being belt drive but what they really have is a cheap brush type motor that uses a belt right inside the motor housing.
What you want is the type that has a big motor hanging off the back with a fan belt to a mandrel.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply, yes the saw has been used hard , and I've been thinking of upgrading to a belt driven model, but space in the garage is tight, and I've adapted an old combo table saw/jointer table to fit my saw, which rolls right into its alloted space.
Looks like its time to clean out the garage!

Old 01-01-06, 05:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
discontinued table saw motor

Well, at least it died from hard use rather than rust! You can be proud of that.

Old 01-05-06, 02:02 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not familiar with that model, but the motor on my Delta Sidekick Contractor (direct drive) table saw gave out. The armature burned up sending a spray of sparks into a nice pile of sawdust. Like you, I was in a pickle over where/how to get a replacement motor. Delta wanted $225 for the entire motor/tilt/lift assembly. I had pulled the motor/gearhead unit out and had it sitting on my workbench.

Later that week, I was using a $30 Skil circular saw and noticed that the molded housing for the circular saw motor was nearly identical to the one for the table saw. By days end, I had the rotor and brushes from the circular saw motor installed the table saw and working like new. I had to use a carbide file to widen the flatted area of the output shaft to fit the coupler on the gearhead, but it only took an hour or so. For about $43, I replaced the de-motored Skil saw with a slightly better one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: