What do you think of the 18V Dewalt finish nailer?

Old 01-06-06, 12:16 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What do you think of the 18V Dewalt finish nailer?

I was all set to buy a Paslode finish nailer and a contractor told me to buy the 18V Dewalt cordless finish nailer instead. His feeling was that it works better, seldom jams, and eliminates the need for the gas canisters. Just looking at them briefly they seem to be somewhat heavy. Anybody have any experience with both guns that they would like to share with me before I buy? Thanks alot.
Axe

Old 01-06-06, 01:44 PM
S
They are kinda heavy
Kinda pricey too
Nice to have the cordless though
What sort of use will it get?

Old 01-06-06, 02:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
They like them alot. Look at the price. I shoot a Senco AirFree 41 with an angle head. It is 14.4 volts, but all you are doing is charging a compressor at intervals, so the battery lasts for approx 500 shots. I have 3 batteries, and never have to use the 3rd one, and I shoot all day long. The Senco is lighter, and a little lesser in price.

Old 01-06-06, 02:15 PM
T
I'm not a carpenter by trade but do alot of projects around the house where the finish nailer would come in handy. I will definitely check out the Senco that you recommend....sounds like it makes more sense.

Thanks for the info...

Old 01-06-06, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 936 Votes on 854 Posts
I've used Paslode Impulse guns, they work okay, but can get a little finnicky when they start getting old. If you don't use it much, the gas cartridges (about $6 each) will slowly bleed out it seems. They're also very noisy, not sure what the dB are, but it's got to be over 100.

A good friend has the Dewalt 18V, and I've used it quite a bit and would really rather have one of those. I'd say the weight is comparable to the Impulse (I've got the old version of Impulse, the big black one- not the newer smaller version). I like the Dewalt 18V a lot and would buy one if my ship would ever came in.

Never used the Senco.

Old 01-07-06, 02:53 AM
J
I have a buddy that has the Dewalt and I use it along with him on jobs and like everyone is saying it is a little heavy and pricey but a good gun. Dont know about the others mentioned but for projects around the house you will probably love the Dewalt.

Old 01-07-06, 01:01 PM
T
I've been looking at the Dewalts on E-Bay and there is certainly plenty of them to be had....but what does that mean exactly? I would love to try one out before I buy.

Old 01-07-06, 03:19 PM
S
Originally Posted by TheAxeman
... I would love to try one out before I buy.
That's one reason why I always buy tools from a store
I won't buy a tool unless I can hold it in my hands the way it will be used
Best thing is to find a local tool shop and try the Dewalt against a few other options
If a tool doesn't feel right in your hands (weight/balance/grip) you will not enjoy using it
For example, I know the Dewalts are a good tool, but the Sencos seem to be a better fit for me, personally

Old 01-10-06, 09:44 AM
kayaker4
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Three Thumbs Up

I got to try the 18V Dewalt finish nailer during a demo by Dewalt vendor reps at my local Home Depot when it first came out. I have subsequently used it at another tool demo. The gun is really sweet, very consistent and did not jamb. I would buy it if I already had several Dewalt tools and batteries (which I don't). If you are a Dewalt owner, this is a very good buy.

I have also used the (older) Paslode framing nailer which was a dud. The finish nailer gets good reviews though.

Old 01-11-06, 01:07 PM
T
Well I bought the dewalt nailer off E-Bay...I'll report back and let everyone know my impressions. I've had pretty good luck with the other 18V dewalt tools so I would imagine this will work out also. I needed a couple of new batteries anyway so if nothing else I will resell the gun when I am done useing it if I'm not happy with it....Thanks for the advice everybody....

Old 01-11-06, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 936 Votes on 854 Posts
keep me in mind if you don't like it.

Old 01-12-06, 11:05 AM
T
did you buy a dc616 or dc618 - which one is newer?

Old 03-29-06, 08:33 AM
F
I think the 616 is the straight nailer and the 618 is the angled nailer.

I also really want one of these.

Old 03-29-06, 10:48 AM
D
FYI. Dewalt is coming out with their 36V line in June. The tools are lighter than the 18V line.

DWC

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: