Craftsman Band Saw, Lower RPM?

Old 01-08-06, 08:09 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Band Saw, Lower RPM?

Hi,
I have an old (20 yrs maybe) Craftsman 12 inch bandsaw. It has a "Split Phase AC Motor" 1/2 HP, 115v, 1225 RPM. The motor says "General Application Wood Lathe and Band Saw."
Model no. 113.12120
MFG No. 772 7

It works great with wood, but I'd like to lower the RPMs to use it for metal cutting. Some have said that a Rheostat is what I need. Any other options?
If the answer is to get a Rheostat, where can I get one online or in the DFW area?

Thanks in advance, BT

Old 01-08-06, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
A rheostat would only work on a dc current motor.
To slow down the blade you would need to change pulleys.

Having said this, I have to say that if you try to use your wood cutting bandsaw for steel you will likely destroy it.
Most wood cutting bandsaws have a rubber tire on the drive wheels for blade traction and smoothness. Metal chips will get into the works and chew up the rubber in no time.
Also, metal cutting bandsaws operate with more tension on the blade than wood ones which would also put a lot of stress on the drive mechanism.

Might be time to add to your tool collection.

Old 01-08-06, 01:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Mirroring GregH's response, if you are going to do enough metal cutting to warrant the use of an electric saw, please don't mess up a perfectly good band saw. It would be better if you invest in one of the metal band saws. This way you won't wear out the saw only after a few uses, like you will with the band saw.

Old 01-08-06, 03:33 PM
B
Gotcha. I don't want to mess my current saw up......so I think I'll probably go with one of the portable bandsaws. Thanks, BT

Old 01-08-06, 05:12 PM
I'll chime in too. When your cutting metal, you will be oiling the cut, one way or another with cutting oil, lots of it. Bottom line is that the saw becomes a oil platform. Not good when you go back to cutting wood.

Old 01-08-06, 05:22 PM
B
Any suggestions on the portable band saws? Owner testimonials???
Thanks, BT

Old 01-09-06, 01:58 PM
I don't own one, but 2 friends do and they like them. One of them is a contractor and uses it when he must make a rought cut upon a roof,,,its easy to carry up to the roof. For fabrication, he uses a small floor model that cuts square.

I own the floor model myself and have no need for a portable saw.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: