fine adjustment on 10" mitre saws

Old 01-10-06, 05:46 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fine adjustment on 10" mitre saws

Which 10" mitre saws have the fine adjustment feature? And which of the finalists are the best bang for the buck for DIY?

Old 01-10-06, 04:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Almost all the better saws, whether 10" or 12" offer a fine adjustment. Now if you are talking about a micrometer type adjustment, I have never had a call for such preciseness. Once the saw is set up on miter and bevel, using the adjustment screws, you don't have to readjust it under normal usage. Of course if you use it like I do every day, I check mine weekly or if I suspect a problem.
As far as which one is best, which is your best child? Hard to say. I use a Bosch 12", but of course Dewalt, Porter Cable, Sears/Craftsman and others make a quality tool. For the small amount of bump in price, you will be better served with a 12". You can miter tall molding, for instance, with the molding standing on its edge flat against the backstop.
Good luck with your choice.

Old 01-11-06, 06:38 AM
R
Thanks Larry. I think I'll stay with the 10" as a DIY non-frequent user + the blades are cheaper. I have it narrowed down to a delta( cheapest), rigid(lifetime warranty), and hitachi(best of the 3 but most expensive). Decisions, decisions,...

Old 01-11-06, 09:27 AM
J
Originally Posted by roger259
Thanks Larry. I think I'll stay with the 10" as a DIY non-frequent user + the blades are cheaper. I have it narrowed down to a delta( cheapest), rigid(lifetime warranty), and hitachi(best of the 3 but most expensive). Decisions, decisions,...
Check out the GMC (Global Machinery Corp) 10inch slide compound with laser @ Lowe's. My GF got me one for Christmas and I've been really surprised with some of it's features. Build quality looks to be on par with some of the brands you've mentioned.

Here's a link to an ePinions article about it.

http://www.epinions.com/content_153960812164

Old 01-11-06, 04:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You are right with the cost of the blades. I have a stack of 12" blades that go to the sharpener every so often, until he tells me it is terminal. Buying the 12" blades would buy a couple of tanks of gas, so I guess the 10 would be a good choice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: