power tools in cases- storage

Old 01-12-06, 06:40 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
power tools in cases- storage

Any ideas on best way to store an ever-growing collection of power tools, each in its own plastic case? I was thinking of building some sort of rack out of 2x4s to put them all in but thought I'd ask first to see if anyone has a unique solution.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-06, 08:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
I've done this in my cube van and also have similar storage in my warehouse. Figure out what your widest case is. My largest tool case is a Bosch 1 1/8" rotary hammer. The case is about 24"x20"x5". So it would make sense that the shelf be at least 20" wide for all my tool boxes. I've ripped plywood to that width and made a shelf that goes up high above my head, but not so high that it can't be reached. The shelf slants down toward me at about a 20 degree angle. The front of the shelf has a wide 1x2 lip on it so that the tool cases all slide forward (due to the angle of the shelf) and line up against that lip. The 1x2 is low enough that all the handles for the cases can rest on top of it for easy access. It also provides a nice space to label where your tools go. The shelf itself rests on a cleat in back and has triangular plywood gussets every 4 ft or so. I sometimes run a smaller flat shelf between those plywood gussets to set smaller items on.

The nice thing about it is that its up high, out of the way, but it's still very easy to see where everything's at. It's above your head so you don't worry about knocking your brain on it but it's still within reach. It also doesn't take up valuable floor or counter space.

I've got two 8ft long shelves along the ceiling on each side of my cube van and it holds almost every tool case that I commonly use.

Old 01-12-06, 09:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I did the same as xsleeper, built angle racks in my construction site trailer to hold all the tools. I try to cut a hole, for instance where the jig saw will go for the blade to protrude down. Same thing with the circular saw, a wide opening for the guard to sit flush. I have found the plastic cases last for about a year, before the hinges, clasps, etc. go south. Now the ones with good cases, I have blank angle racks divided to the exact size of the case so they don't slide too much.

Old 01-12-06, 10:48 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
good suggestions. Thanks guys!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: