Can a jigsaw cut straight lines?

Old 01-27-06, 04:09 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can a jigsaw cut straight lines?

I am about to install cabinets, limanate countertop, filler strips and molding in my kitchen myself. Cabinets, filler, and molding are from IKEA. I figure I would need a power tool to cut and fit them. The only power saw that I have used is my reciprocal saw. I have never used a circular saw, and am thinking I should get a jigsaw first to try my hands. To cut the hole for the sink, I will definitely need to use a jigsaw.

Can a jigsaw do the jobs that I mentioned with proper straight lines? I don't mind working very slowly and do a lot of sanding after the cut, but just want to make sure that I can handle the tool and do a decent enough job. Do I need both a jigsaw (for my sink hole) and a circular saw for the rest of the tasks?

If I only need a jigsaw, can you recommend a brand or measurement of a saw for the type of jobs I am about to tackle.

Thanks

Old 01-27-06, 05:19 PM
jigsaw with a guide could do it

I would use a circular saw though

your getting pricey cabinets and you have no real experiance it might be well worth your while to hire a pro and build your skills on smaller projects where mistalkes wont be quite so obvios or expensive

kinda one of those if you have to ask you really shouldnt be doing it sort of things

Old 01-27-06, 06:06 PM
Please list your cutting tasks more clearly for a better reply.

Even without knowing your tasks ahead of you, I doubt a jigsaw will suffice much except the sink hole.

Old 01-28-06, 06:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
The few times that I have needed to use a jig saw to make a long straight cut I've clamped a straight edge [1x] to the wood and used it for a guide.

Old 01-28-06, 06:39 AM
Basic answer - no.

There are tools where it's NOT cabinet work, such as framing houses, installing fences, setting concrete forms, installing drywall and the like where tolerances are generous. Caulk, trim, moulding, joint compound and other methods are designed to cover the cut. Your sink has a piece of metal trim that covers the gap. The gap needs to be a loose fit so that the sink drops in readily. Jigsaws, chainsaws, sawzalls and drywall saws are rough-fit tools.

There are reasons why plunge routers, table saws and cutting guides exist - to make very accurate, very straight cuts. I doubt that a jigsaw gets much use in a cabinet shop if a better tool for the task is available for the final critical removal of material.

Old 01-28-06, 06:47 AM
I would not purchase a good jigsaw merely for the sink opening. Drilling some large holes and connecting them with a hand saw should be adequate. Good quality jigsaws are fairly pricey.

Old 01-28-06, 01:24 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
mango man is right - this is a job where your asking the question in the first place says you really shouldn't attempt this job. Start with projects that have a larger margin for error like ibm5081 mentioned, then move on to more complicated projects as your skills develop.

Old 01-29-06, 06:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
My 2 cents. Jig saws are inherently made NOT to cut straight lines, but, instead, give the ability to cut crooked lines, so using one to do something it isn't designed to do isn't using it to its potential. Using a straight board or fence is second best, but it works just fine. Cutting boards thicker than 3/4" will tend to bend the blade, and your cut will be ugly. I think the proper tool to do the job is imperative. Good Luck with your project!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: