Oiler and/or water seperator on portable?

Old 01-31-06, 12:39 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oiler and/or water seperator on portable?

Do guys use either auto-oilers or water seperators on your portable compressors? I just picked up a Husky 5 HP 17 gallon and a nailer, not sure if I should go to the extra expense or just drain the tank and oil the nailer before each use.

Thanks much.

Old 01-31-06, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 942 Votes on 860 Posts
A similar question was asked in this thread:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=248115

I'd say definately drain the tank once a week regardless of what you decide. In areas with high humidity, they'll collect quite a bit of water in a week. Most tools that require oil are supposed to be oiled daily anyway. Whether you want an oiler or not is up to you. I don't have one on mine because half the tools are Senco (oil-less) and the other half I just add 2 or 3 drops before using, no big deal.

Old 01-31-06, 05:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Steve: I would forego the attachments to the compressor. You will find that while transporting it you will break off most of what you add to it over time. And like Xsleeper says, the oiler isn't best, since Senco is oilless, and the Bostitch gets a few drops every day. The oilers are for big production places where you can't trust your employees to do the proper oiling. Good luck.

Old 01-31-06, 06:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
I agree with the above. My first compressor was a portable and I added an air trap. Took it off because I was always afraid I would bust it.

Where and how you use your comp will determine how often you need to drain the water out of the tank. In fla [high humidty] I drained the water daily and sometimes more often. Here in tn. once a week is plenty unless I'm using a lot of air.

My main objection to oilers is they also coat the air line with oil - not a problem unless you decide to do some painting

Old 02-01-06, 03:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
More info. On my stationary compressor in my shop I found a neat item. I believe in Harbor Freight or one of those catalogs they have an expulsion valve that attaches to the drain plug hole in the tank with a pitot tube that goes in line to the switch tubing with a supplied "t". Whenever the compressor cycles off, in about 3 seconds, you will hear a sharp hiss sound. The valve expells moisture every time the compressor cycles. There is still the regular drain petcock, so if you have alot of moisture, like you do in FL, you can manually do it on a regular basis, should the valve not keep up with the moisture. But it is too large to fit on a pancake or hotdog tank.

Old 02-01-06, 06:45 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll just drain regularly and oil manually.

Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: