need help with brad nailer

Old 02-02-06, 10:00 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need help with brad nailer

Hello all, I'm new here.

I purchased an air brad nailer on eBay - Campbell Hausfeld 2". It leaves heads of brads above the surface. Every once in a while, it will shoot one flush, but NEVER will it countersink. I've run it everywhere between 75 and 100 psi. It has a depth adjustment, which I have set to the lowest, but still no luck. If this thing won't countersink, it's useless to me.

Any ideas? Thanks! Chad

Old 02-02-06, 10:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 945 Votes on 863 Posts
What kind of wood are you nailing into? Weak guns have a hard time driving 2" nails. Will it countersink shorter nails? If so, the problem is probably with the gun itself. 80 lbs should be sufficient to run a brad nailer, 100lbs would the the maximum that I'd suggest. Campbell Hausfeld is okay, but then you proabably know it isn't the cadillac of air tools.

Old 02-02-06, 10:22 PM
C
That's a good point. I haven't tested it with brads any shorter yet. That may do the trick. I borrowed a buddy's Senco for a while. I liked it a lot. This CH seems solidly built, but yes, it's at the cheaper end of functional. It should do for now. Thanks.

Old 02-03-06, 03:00 PM
S
I've got a CH brad nailer and have had similar experiences. I did get a counter sink at 100 psi but only in very soft wood. I tried all sorts of things before trying a different nailer which is when I realized that the CH nailer just isn't that good.

Try some really soft pine and perhaps shorter nails and see if you can get it to countersink. That should give you an idea if it is expected bahaviour or a malfunction. My guess is the former.

Old 02-03-06, 08:30 PM
I have the PC nailer which uses 1.25" brads max. Not a problem countersinking into oak. For anything longer than this, it's either a finish nailer or a narrow-guage stapler.

Old 02-05-06, 06:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 945 Votes on 863 Posts
Even my senco nailer occasionally has trouble nailing 2" nails into oak. It's got a setting on it for 30% more power and I leave it on that setting 100% of the time. 2" is just a long ways to nail such a long nail in hard woods. That's why I wondered what kind of wood he was nailing into.

If the workpiece is not secure, a long nail won't go in all the way. It's almost like if the workpiece is at all loose, or not braced sucurely, it absorbs a lot of the impact which will result in the nail being left proud. You also have to firmly hold the gun against the work to ensure the gun doesn't bounce away when you aim and shoot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: