mitre saw-DIY projects, low, med or high end?

Old 02-04-06, 08:29 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mitre saw-DIY projects, low, med or high end?

I am a homeowner with simple projects around the house--decking, 2x4's, and other odd jobs. I'd like to buy the best saw for the money, but do I have to spend $189--rigid, dewalt, hitachi or can I get by with a saw for under $100--delta, ryobi? I don't mind spending the extra money if the sub $100 saw will have continual problems year after year. What to do!

Old 02-04-06, 06:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Roger, if all you are doing is weekend projects, you could probably get away with years of use on a lesser expensive model. Look at what wood you will be cutting. Will it be over 6" high? Will you be cutting crown molding? If most of your lumber will be 2x4 or 2x6, and you will be doing limited crown, you can be served well with an 8 1/4" mid range saw. I use a Bosch 12" almost daily in my business and have had great service from it. It will run you about $225 to $250. It allows me to cut crown flat with detents specifically for crown on the miter and bevel. Check into the recons at the orange big box. They carry the same factory warranty as new ones. I have a 13" planer and oscillating drum sander that are recons, and no problems at all.

Old 02-04-06, 06:40 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It depends on what you plan on doing
The under $100 ones will work for decks
You'll be doing some caulk/putty-ing if you want to do some molding with it

If your cutting 2Xs for making shelves in the garage it'll work fine
If your cutting shelves for a hutch you're building, no it won't "cut it"

Decking and 2Xs can also be cut by a top quality circular saw for $130-$160
Trim...not really

Search this Thread

Ask a Question