Brad Nailer Problem

Old 02-04-06, 10:18 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brad Nailer Problem

I have a Porter Cable brad nailer for use with a compressor.. I have had it for a few years and it worked great. 1" to 2" brads worked fine. I haven't used it in a while and just recently I used it for a small project and I am having a problem. It seems that the "piston" that pushes the brad into the wood doesn’t recess all the way after it shoots a brad. So the next brad I try and use does not come out. I have to open the front of the nailer and push the "piston" up each time I use the nailer. I have oiled the gun from where the hose connects to it and I also removed the top of the gun and took out the piston assembly and oiled that. Still after the fist brad comes out the piston does not recede back into the gun. Any suggestions??

Old 02-05-06, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 49 Posts
What mdel nailer do you have.

BENS,

It will either be that the mechanism is still dirty, a part is out of adjustment/worn or you do not have enough air pressure.
I would suggest that you make sure you have dismanteled and properly cleaned it before you look at replacing any parts.
The tolerances are fairly tight on this type of tool and a bit of gunk can mess them up.

Do you have a pictorial diagram for your nailer?

Old 02-05-06, 11:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I have had the same problem with my PC brad nailer. Like Greg says, you have to make sure the plunger area is really clean. Release the cleanout mechanism and lightly pry up the plunger. You will find the head of a previously shot nail under it causing enough friction to keep the plunger from retracting. Just a shot; thought I'd throw it past. Post back if you need more info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: