Drill Press

Old 02-10-06, 06:17 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drill Press

Hi,

My dad bought a drill press from Big Lots about 5 years ago and paid $125 for it when they were double that price on the market at the time. The problem with it is the flat screw that raises the table bends outward as you raise the table to the top. I guess the manufacturer used a cheap aluminum screw on it. I was wanting to know if I could purchase a new screw for it and how much it would run. The drill press is a variable speed floor standing unit. It looks like it was either manufactured by Burt Group Co., or Northern. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 02-10-06, 06:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Chris: does the table move up and down by means of a rack an pinion screw mechanism or is it manual?

Old 02-11-06, 05:21 AM
C
It is manual, using a hand crank to move the table up and down. As you crank the table upward towards the chuck, the flat screw starts bowing outward. Hope that helps.

Chris

Old 02-11-06, 12:57 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
it sounds like the rack portion is flexing. they use a collar at each end to secure it so there's no screws to hit the pinion gear. the problem is that rack has to be able to move with the table so you can't secure it to the post. if you have no need to move the table left and right you could hose clamp the rack at the highest and lowest points you think you would use. then you could adjust elevation within those two points. even if you need to exceed those adjustments you could remove a clamp.

Old 02-11-06, 03:21 PM
M
Chris, I know you probably are,but I have to ask are you loosening the clamp that clamps the table to the mast that it slides up and down?
Mike

Old 02-12-06, 07:26 AM
C
Mike,

Yes.

Old 02-12-06, 04:21 PM
M
cdawley4, no offense mean't, just had to ask. I have an HDC brand, made in Taiwan,as yours probably is. After looking it over, I'd say you'll have to remove the powerhead,the band that retains the rack gear and slide table and rack up off the column. Remove rack from table and lay it on a flat surface to see if it is sprung. If so, perhaps you can gently tap it straight with a soft mallet. The only reason I can figure it's bowing out is because it has somehow gotten sprung???
Hope this helps,
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: