Bostitch 3n1 combo kit.Any good?

Old 02-11-06, 09:58 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bostitch 3n1 combo kit.Any good?

I am just finishing up installing a laminate floor and was looking for an inexpensive pneumatic nailer to reattach trim with.I got this combo kit from Bostitch that included a finish nailer a brad gun and a 1.5 hp oil free compressor.Before I take it out of the box,is this thing any good?Just wondering what the pros thought.I wouldnt be doing anything commercial with it.Just maybe using it for simple trim work and maybe some small furniture projects.Thanx

Old 02-11-06, 10:36 PM
R
If there was not such a killer deal when I bought my Porter Cable kit, I would have looked at Bostich. It's my understanding they make some solid nailers (what they excel at). I don't see any reason for not opening it? Just curious, was it a gift? If not, why would you buy it if you weren't certain? I have used a friend's Bostich nailer and thought it worked very well.

Old 02-11-06, 10:53 PM
H
Truth be told,I was just going to get some finish nails as I really didnt want to spend alot.I happened to see this sale at Menards,259.00 from 299.00 and remembered that bostitch nailers are what alot of roofers I know used.I wasnt sure what kind of quality the smaller guns were.Also a little leery about the small compressor.It was kind of an impulse buy,and wanted to be able to justify it to the wife.Im really looking forward to putting this moulding on now.I may ever muster enough courage to change all the door casings.

Old 02-11-06, 11:21 PM
R
In my personal opinion...if you are going to be doing all this trim work AND door casings...time is money (figuratively speaking). If you are going to be doing the type of crown molding that is angled and not flush with the wall, I don't see why you wouldn't want an air nailer. If my wife asked me to do this with a hammer and nails...I'd collect Social Security before anything was ever done (about 30 years away). I think it's fairly simple to justify this tool. Other tools down the road, you may have to be clever on. It's just sooo much nicer when you can use one hand to put the trim in place and the other hand IS your hammer and nails. Now...if you have a rare birth defect and have three arms...yes, return it.

Old 02-12-06, 04:07 AM
S
Bostitch used to be made in Japan and developed a great reputation over the years
They have since changed their manufacturing to China and I can't offer a personal opinion of the new product, but it seems my contemporaries won't touch them now
The former Japanese manufacturer now makes a product under the name "Max"
I can say those are even more impressive than my Porter-Cable (which I love)

Old 02-12-06, 10:08 AM
H
Hey slick,Thats exactly what I was afraid of.Like some many products today,the same name is slapped on a totally different product with inferior quality.Most of the posts I saw on this board concerning Bostitch were repair or malfunctions.Ive returned that one and went to HD and got the PC.Got 0% interest to boot, as it went on the HD credit card.Thanx for your input,and I appreciate all you guys who take time to answer questions on this board.

Old 02-12-06, 01:30 PM
R
You'll be quite pleased with the PC. I have no issues with them so far...and don't forsee any.

Old 02-12-06, 02:30 PM
H
Yes,Im very happy indeed.I would highly recommend this to any casual DIYer as it makes the task of hanging trim a snap.Unfortunately,I now have a ton of work that I can no longer put off,but I had fun today.BTW,what is the crown stapler most commonly used for?

Old 02-12-06, 03:12 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
My boss has the bostitch kit and likes it just fine. I bought the same PC kit that rapture has and think I got a better deal than my boss.

Old 02-14-06, 07:39 AM
R
I haven't used my crown stapler yet. But, I've heard of people using it for fabric on furniture to using it on loose carpet. Again, I haven't tried this...so, not sure if this is the "normal" use for this tool. I know what you mean...now you don't have any excuses when not getting anything done

Old 02-14-06, 07:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
The stapler is used when you need something with a bigger head to hold - like furniture fabric or carpet. In each of those cases, a nail would not hold to the outer material.

Old 02-14-06, 09:44 AM
There are 3 crown staplers:

Narrow crown (1/4") used for trim or cabinet backs. I used one this weekend on some outdoor lattice. Very light, no recoil.

Medium crown (7/16") used for sheathing, roof decking. My last use was to staple down some 1/2" OSB to some framing for speaker shelves in a closet. Could be used for light crating.

Wide crown (15/16") used for shingling (rather than roofing nails) as well as metal lath under stucco. I already have a roofing nailer, so I don't have this one.

Old 02-14-06, 09:49 AM
There are also pneumatic upholstery staplers used on fabric and webbing in furniture repair. I would not really call them crown staplers. Wonderful tool - I have one with no safety of any kind. Watch where the other hand goes. Tiny little thing that penetrates oak just fine and holds down fabric or vinyl quite well. Weighs almost nothing. Staples are similar in shape to a regular office desk staple but come in a box of 10,000. No bounce firing as it has no nose - the bottom is completely flat and it shoots as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Old 02-14-06, 12:07 PM
K
Bostitch isn't made in Japan or China. It's made in the USA, East Greenwich, Rhode Island, to be specific. They make excellent framing and roofing, and hardwood floor nailers, I have used all of these and they are rugged and dependable. Can't speak on Bostitch finish guns because I have never used one.

PC makes nice finish guns though, and their framers seem to be good too. The little compressor that comes with the PC is good for the guns that come with it and will run a single roofer, or flooring gun reasonably well too, it just cycles on and off more frequently, and it's LOUD. It really cant keep up with a framing gun (you have to wait for it to catch up or it will leave nails proud), which is fine since it's not designed to frame anyway. I used it with my bostitch roofing gun to do a 6 square roof recently and it had no problem keeping up.

Old 02-14-06, 02:56 PM
S
The company is still based in R.I.
And does R&D and marketing etc.
But doesn't actually manufacture nail guns there

Like most Stanley Tools (the owners of Bostitch), the Bostitch air nailers are made "off-shore"
The Stanley factory in Connecticut may actually make a few fasteners if I remember right (it may be magnets or a protractor or something), but the rest is made elsewhere
Mostly China
Now don't get me wrong-I have a ton of Stanley tools
Rules, tapes, levels, wrenches, screwdrivers....etc...I love the Fat Max line!
I'm not sure what, if anything prodcut-wise, comes out of Bostitch of R.I., but it is not nailers

Now it's true my information comes from manufacturer reps, retailers, wholesale tool suppliers, and industry trade publications, not by actually visiting the Bostich factory in R.I.
(Though I did go to Stanley in CT a few times)
If my information is incorrect, I have made a grave error by repeating in here that they are made off-shore
If that's the case, I would welcome the chance to correct it

Old 02-14-06, 05:51 PM
K
I was reading the info off the box from my roofing gun, it said made in usa of international components. I took that to mean parts manufactured globally and assembled here? I drive by the place once in a while, maybe I'll stop in and find out what goes on there, I'll let you know if I do.

PS - I agree on the fatmax, unless something better comes along, it's the only tape I will ever buy!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: