Spray gun nozzle size

Old 02-21-06, 09:49 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Spray gun nozzle size

I'm buying an HVLP spray gun to use with my air compressor. I'll be using it to finish furniture, put want the option to use it to paint furniture as well. I know that I'll need to thin the paint and read that it's recommended that I get a 2mm nozzle. When I went to purchase the 2mm nozzle, I saw that there is also a 2.2mm nozzle available. My question is, what is the difference between the nozzles (besides the extra .2mm in size), and which would be better to buy to use with paint? I was unable to get any answers through google or other search engines and am hoping that the folks here could help.

Old 02-21-06, 05:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Welcome to the forums

I have a couple of HVLP guns that run off air [versus turbine] but I don't remember any options of buy different tips. A bigger orifice means that it will spray [atomize] thicker paint or faster volume. It will also have greater air consumption. Without the option to use a larger tip I have always thinned the paint/varnish as necesarry for it to apply the finish correctly. Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-06, 03:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Marksr: I was doing some remodeling for a guy near here, and he was refinishing some cabinets, using a sprayer supplied by a hot air box. It seemed to atomize the laquer, or whatever he was using, and the finish was as smooth as a baby's, well you know. And it was dry in seconds. Is this a common finishing sprayer setup for cabinets. I thought it was really neat.

Old 02-23-06, 11:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
chandler

A true HVLP runs off of a turbine - something like a vacumn cleaner in reverse. That may have been what his 'hot box' was. They use very little air but put out decent volume of material. I've never used one, mainly because it cost to much to get started and I already own compressors. The HVLP type guns that run with a compressor are pretty much like any cup gun - just less overspray.

IMO any material sprayed properly with the proper equipment for the particlular job should have great results. All spray equipment is designed for certain jobs [or range of jobs] Using the right one coupled with skill should always produce good results.

BTW laquer always dries fast, other solvent based materials can have their drying time speeded up by adding driers or hardners.

Last edited by marksr; 02-24-06 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-23-06, 03:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Yeah, it must have been a turbine, as it sounded like a vacuum cleaner. Only it blew out hot air, which he said helped in the smooth finish. Still gonna leave the paint stuff to you paint pros. You make us wood butchers look good. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: