air compressor

Old 02-24-06, 05:39 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
air compressor

Sorry about yet another compressor question, but how do I match a compressor to a tool, specifically a framing nailer? How much PSI or those other numbers do I need? And will the same compressor be useful for, say, blowing off shop tools, inflating tires, etc.?

Old 02-24-06, 06:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
The nailer will tell you the minimum requirements for a compressor. Just about anything will be ok for tires and blowing off tools.

Old 02-24-06, 06:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Compressors come in all sorts of sizes and shapes. It really depends on your needs and how you will use it. I have a stationary one in my shop, which powers anything I need. I have a pancake type on my construction trailer to power nailers. It won't do sprayers, blow guns, etc. because of the volume of the tank. Framing nailers ususally need about 90 psi, paint sprayers about 15. The compressor comes with an outlet pressure regulator and gauge. You will need to "dead end" the hose (allow air to flow) and adjust the regulator to get the proper outlet pressure. You cannot get an accurate reading without dead ending it. Price wise, you can get portables from less than $100 to upwards to $300 (double hot dog Ridgid with wheels). This will probably be my next purchase for my trailer. The stationary verticals will top out at about $400-600. If you are talking about an in-shop compressor, I would consider a vertical 60 gallon. This will give you all you will ever need to do what you want in a shop. Good luck with your choice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: