Air comp & tools

Old 02-27-06, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air comp & tools

OK, my dad just gave me his old air comp and I bought a kit with air tools, but what can I do with them aside from taking the wheels off my truck?? I am anxious to use them but don't wanna tear my house apart. What are some projects where they come in handy? The kit came with a ratchet, impact wrench and air hammer......along with all the pieces required to hook them up.

One more Q while I'm at it.....kit came with a regulator and oiler.....where do I put those? I may not need the regulator, the air comp is a small one, gauge never goes over 100#'s, but I'd like the auto oiler for the tools......help please,
Thanks!

Last edited by BiglyD; 02-27-06 at 12:50 PM. Reason: remove my url to my site
Old 02-27-06, 12:57 PM
The tools in your kit are basically automotive. You may want to get some tools for woodworking later. I use my regulator for turning down the pressure when using my brad nailer. It only needs about 80# to fully seat 1-1/4" brads. You will not want the oiler used if you are doing spray painting. Kinda messes up the paint. There are lots of air tools including grinders and such. You have to decide what type of work you want to do and then get the tool for the job. Good luck.

Old 02-27-06, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
BiglyD,

I would add that you might do well to not use the oiler.
Air tools do need oil but oilers tent to overdo it and your hose(s) will be an oily mess.
There will be times when you want to just dust something or even get a paint sprayer and wouldn't want oil delivered with the air.

I would just buy a bottle of tool oil with a pointed nozzle and give them one drop every few hours of use.

Old 02-27-06, 05:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by GregH
BiglyD,I would just buy a bottle of tool oil with a pointed nozzle and give them one drop every few hours of use.

I agree and would add always add a drop or two the first time you use - even if you oiled it last time and only used it for 10 minutes.

Old 02-27-06, 07:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
If you use nailers, some need oil (Bostitch, etc.) and some have ceramic innards, and don't need oil (Senco), so leave out the oiler. Oilers are primarily for companies whose employees use oil type tools and are too caught up with their jobs, that they forget to lubricate them.

Old 02-28-06, 06:33 AM
The non-automotive tools that don't use much air are pneumatic fastening tools - framing nailers, roofing nailers, finish nailers, brad nailers, staplers (narrow, medium and wide crown), upholstery staplers. Each with a specific application.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: