Great deal on nailer/stapler

Old 03-02-06, 06:16 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Great deal on nailer/stapler

Rockler has the Delta DBS125 brad nailer/narrow crown stapler for $40. Amazon is selling the same tool for $80.

Delta is a division of Porter Cable. The Delta nailer manuals are identical to the PC manuals so the tools are certainly very close. I haven't owned a Delta nailer but I own 3 PC nailers and they're excellent. This might be a good time for someone who has been considering a small nailer or stapler to go for it. Decent quality tool at Harbor Freight prices.

I really hope this won't be construed as advertising. Just trying to pass on what I felt was a really good deal. If its a problem please let me know or just delete it.

Last edited by wreckwriter; 03-02-06 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-02-06, 08:23 AM
A combo bradder/stapler may work well for some users, though the unit is limited to 1-1/4" brads (usually plenty long) and 1" staples. I find that if I need more than 1-1/4" brads it's time for the finish nailer. For narrow staples though, I can use the 1-1/2" length for greater holding power.
That $40 price would make it very desirable while getting 2 tools in one unit.

Old 03-02-06, 08:30 AM
W
Originally Posted by IBM5081
A combo bradder/stapler may work well for some users, though the unit is limited to 1-1/4" brads (usually plenty long) and 1" staples. I find that if I need more than 1-1/4" brads it's time for the finish nailer. For narrow staples though, I can use the 1-1/2" length for greater holding power.
That $40 price would make it very desirable while getting 2 tools in one unit.
Yea, its certainly not the solution for every job, a finish nailer is generally more useful, but for $40 it seems a heck of a deal.

Old 03-02-06, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 49 Posts
I have an inexpensive 1/4" narrow crown stapler and the holding power of a staple far exceeds a nail of similar length.
No one could go wrong buying that Delta.

Old 03-02-06, 04:18 PM
W
What I worry about, although not too much since I plan on using it as a stapler mostly, is that the brad nails will come out of one side of the tip rather than the center and that will make the nailer part not work as well. I have an electric brad nailer/stapler that works this way. The stapler works well, the brad nailer not very well at all. It would probablt pierce your finger, but it wouldn't go through a piece of doorstop trim.

I still have a porch to screen where I'll use this but the main use will be building a couple of reptile cages where I'll be attaching thin ply to 2x2 framing. the smallest finish nails I can shoot are borderline too long. I think this will be perfect and the price sold me instantly, particularly when I checked amazon's price for same gun.

Old 03-03-06, 04:04 AM
S
Originally Posted by wreckwriter
What I worry about, although not too much since I plan on using it as a stapler mostly, is that the brad nails will come out of one side of the tip rather than the center and that will make the nailer part not work as well. I have an electric brad nailer/stapler that works this way. The stapler works well, the brad nailer not very well at all. It would probablt pierce your finger, but it wouldn't go through a piece of doorstop trim.

I still have a porch to screen where I'll use this but the main use will be building a couple of reptile cages where I'll be attaching thin ply to 2x2 framing. the smallest finish nails I can shoot are borderline too long. I think this will be perfect and the price sold me instantly, particularly when I checked amazon's price for same gun.
I had a Grizzly 18 guage combo unit for a week. It worked great for both nails and staples as far as power and depth. The problem is, it always leaves a 1/4" divot line from the staple plunger in the wood even when you are shooting brads. This is far more visible in finished work than the tiny mark left by a dedicated brad nailer. I called them up and asked how to get it to stop doing this, they said "they all do that", so I returned it and picked up a Bostitch brad nailer at Lowes...I still have the staples if anybody wants them....

Old 03-03-06, 04:11 AM
S
Originally Posted by GregH
I have an inexpensive 1/4" narrow crown stapler and the holding power of a staple far exceeds a nail of similar length.
Very true. Just about everybody uses staplers now for molding installation. At least for paint grade. On the downside though is when you make a mistake they are a royal pain to get out!

Old 03-03-06, 05:03 AM
W
Originally Posted by snarksdad
The problem is, it always leaves a 1/4" divot line from the staple plunger in the wood even when you are shooting brads.
That makes sense, there had to be a price paid somewhere for the combination use. Doesn't concern me much though as I'll be mostly staples and all my work is paint grade anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: