Porter-Cable FR350A nailer

Old 03-11-06, 06:01 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porter-Cable FR350A nailer

I have a Porter-Cable FR350A nailer. I'm having trouble figuring out the technique for toe-nailing, since it is awkward to hold in a diagonal position because the part that is held against the workpiece is smooth-edged. Other brands of nailers have a toothed ridge at the business end to hold on to the stud when used at an angle. Is there an accessory for this tool for toe-nailing or am I missing something?

Also, when held in an angled position for toe-nailing, it sometimes does not fire, but just releases a puff of air instead. Is this a safety feature?

Old 03-11-06, 08:34 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have that gun, and on mine, the teeth extend 180 degrees from side to side. Never had a problem getting it to toenail, though I usually have to hit with a hammer since the driving doesn't go all the way to the wood surface. It also came with a rubber tip for 'traction' (which prompty fell off and was lost).

Old 03-11-06, 12:54 PM
Suobs,
It sounds like you still have the rubber nose cushion installed on the safety (the spring-loaded part that surrounds the nose piece of the nailer). Look at the parts at http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/image...fr350a.big.pdf

With the nose cushion removed, there should be 5-6 teeth at the bottom of the safety. These will dig into the framing lumber to assure accurate toenail placement. If the nail is left proud, adjust the depth of drive to lower the nose piece. Be careful not to lower it too much or the safety will not release and allow a nail to be driven. I did that on my Paslode - the nose piece contacted the wood before the safety disengaged - preventing me from firing a nail.
Both my Paslode and Hitachi framer have the teeth at the front and sides of the safety.

Old 03-11-06, 05:17 PM
S
You're right. I discovered I still had the rubber nose on about 5 minutes before I saw your reponse. It sure looks & feels like powder-coated metal. I thought they had left it out of the package.

Old 03-11-06, 08:06 PM
That nailer has a place to park the nose cushion when it is not in use. No need to lose it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: