Band saw rpm?

Old 03-18-06, 08:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Band saw rpm?

Im working on a sawmill and was wondering if anyone knew how fast the blade should go. Its going to be a 1 1/4" blade and about 3tpi. Im building this thing from scratch and I dont want to run to fast or to slow. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-19-06, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
Michael,

Thanks for asking here first!
There are too many varibles to be able to tell you how fast to spin your band saw wheels.

The speed measurement of a band saw blade is in SFM (surface feet/min) and is controlled by not only the wheel speed but the diameter of the drive wheel as well.
In order to get into your operating zone, the best information will come from the manufacturer of the blade you will be using.
Regardless of the speed you settle on you would do well to make provision for changing speeds to be able to fine tune its operation.

I had bought a little 10" Delta bandsaw at an auction with no motor or stand. With some experimentation I settled on 1035 rpm to give me 2710 sfm to get the most out of the 1/2 hp motor I scrounged for it.

Here is a excerpt from one site I Googled:
General Guidelines:
Thick Material: Slower Speed
Hard Material: Slower Speed
Fine Tooth Pitch: Slower Speed

Thin Material: Faster Speed
Soft Material: Faster Speed
Few TPI: Faster Speed

Surface Feet per Minute (SFM)
Maximum: 5000 SFM e.g. thin wood, paper,
asbestos, soft plastics

Minimum: 1500 SFM e.g. bakelite
Credit: bcsaw.com

If you already know what blade you will be using I would suggest you use that mfr's info as a start.
Their tables will tell you not only how fast to run the blade but how much horsepower it will take to saw different types and thicknesses of wood.

Tell us a bit more about what your project.
Is this a home project or are you building a mill to saw 24" hardwood?

More bandsaw links.

A good speed calculator.

Old 03-19-06, 07:46 AM
I have a 12.5 hp engine to run it. Im trying to build it so I can go up to a 3ft wide log, I doubt Ill ever find one that big. I will most likely never go over 2ft wide, 14" would be normal I think. I will hopefully be cutting all different typs of wood except pine, there isnt much of that around here. I will email the place I will get the blades from and see what they say.

Old 03-19-06, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
The manufacturer should be able to tell you not only what the best speed would be but might be able to suggest a blade that would give you the best performance with the motor you have and the species of wood you will be cutting.
If the place you are buying the blades from is not any help you could either shop somewhere that knows about this or find out exactly what brand and model the blade is.

Keep in mind that sometimes the cheapest place is also the least likely source for information.

Old 03-19-06, 09:05 AM
where should I get the blades from? I was planning on getting them from here, www.detroitbandsaw.com they custom make them any size.

Old 03-19-06, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Michael,

I'm sure that is as good a place as any to start.
All you have to do is tell them what you are trying to do.
Give them a call or email and see if they will live up to their advertising.
I am in contact with manufacturers quite often.
I can honestly say I have not run into one that would not help me with technical problems on their equipment..

Here is a quote from their website:

Our knowledgeable staff, possessing both technical and application experience, stand ready to solve even your toughest cutting problem. We form partnerships with customers by assisting in solving problems and selecting the appropriate machine and blades for the required applications. We offer long-term commitment, for today and tomorrow.

Old 03-20-06, 02:11 PM
This is what they told me to run the blade at. Your speed should be around 7000 SFPM for the 7/8 of a tooth per inch. For the 6R, run it around 5000 SFPM.

Old 03-20-06, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
How big are the wheels?

Old 03-20-06, 02:29 PM
They are 16"

Old 03-20-06, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
According to the calculator, 5000 sfm with 16" wheels would be 1194 rpm.
7000 sfm would be 1671 rpm.

Good luck and let us know how your project is going.

Old 03-20-06, 07:59 PM
Ill have to play around with pulleys to get the speed right. I would like to put a step pulley on it so I can change the speed. Ill let you guys know what happens and maybe post some pictures but it will be a while yet. I still need a gear box and the wheels yet, but I have about everything else I need. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

Old 03-22-06, 08:02 AM
I suggest that you post your questions at: http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php
This is a great site for sawyers and you will see many sponsors who offer supplies such as the blades you need. There are a number of folks who have scratch built bandsaw mills such as you are proposing. Good luck. (proud 30" Baker owner)

Old 03-22-06, 08:17 AM
Thankd for the link, Ill check it out. I have seen a few home made sawmills in magazines and such which is where I got the idea and since I have a engine that runs real good I figured I should get it out of the corner and use it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: