Bosch miter saw

Old 03-21-06, 05:15 AM
B
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Bosch miter saw

I need to buy a 12" miter saw. My 10" just doesn't work for so many things. I was very much interested in the earlier thread and have pretty much decided on the Bosch 12" dual bevel sliding saw with the laser guide. I have two questions:
1. Are thelaser guides accurate and do they stay accurate?
2. The motor is 15A. Will a 15A circuit hold that saw or do I need to plug into a 20A circuit. Am I correct that the 15A is running amps and the starting amps will be something higher?

I'm swallowing hard at the price, but over the years I have learned that I have never been sorry for buying the best.

Old 03-21-06, 02:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I use a Bosch 12" professionally on a daily basis, and love it. I don't have the lasers, but I don't trust 'em anyway due to the amount of movement my saw goes through from jobsite to jobsite. I can see where the blade is going to hit, so the lasers are just a sissy add on.
I have it mounted to a Delta rolling stand, but see where the orange big box has a Ridgid rolling stand on sale for $99 (pretty good deal).
It won't run consistently on a 15 amp breaker, as it takes all it has to spool up, and some woods will cause amp rise. I also have to make sure when my compressor is running on the same circuit that I wait until it finishes its charge before I make my cut. But this high amperage has its advantages as I have no problem cutting any woods at any angle.
The saw has detents for crown miter and bevel which is nice. As with all saws, keep it clean, keep it adjusted and you will get a long life from it.
Good luck with your purchase.

Old 03-21-06, 03:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
Is it true that the Bosch 12" can only cut vertically a maximum 4 1/2"? A friend was looking at buying the Bosch and that's the only knock we could find against it. Various Dewalt models can cut 5 1/4 and 6" respectively, which makes them appealing too. Bosch's up front controls have Dewalt's beat.

Old 03-21-06, 03:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I can cut 4x4's with the saw, but the blade guard roller tends to bind a little with 6x6's, and the motor is large enough to not allow a complete cut. I have used it for so long that all I do is move my thumb over and flip it a little bit and it continues to cut. I think they could have done a little bit better with this part of the design, but I got over it. When bevel or miter cutting the tops off 6x6's for decorative tops on deck newel posts, there is no problem.
You mention the controls...it has an ambidextrous safety switch which is nice for wrong handed cutting, and the "D" handle gives good control.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: