Wet Tile saw

Old 03-26-06, 01:36 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wet Tile saw

Ok...wife and I are going to be putting some tile in our entry way to replace the carpet and will create separation for when we change upstairs vs. downstairs. Anyways, I've looked at a couple of wet tile saws online and I'm not sure they can handle slate tile. The all usually mention just ceramic tile. Will these cut slate?

Old 03-26-06, 02:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
There are basically 2 types of saws; one with the stationary table that you slide the material through similar to a table saw, and the one with a moveable table that slides the material under a blade mounted like a radial arm saw. The first one is $88 at HD and it does an adequate job at cutting ceramic and some slate. The latter one will run about $200, but does a considerably better job, and the moving sled gives better control. They both use diamond impregnated blades, and use water to keep them cool. The first one will tend to make a racing stripe on your body from head to waist unless you keep the fence down. The second one pumps water over and onto the material. I have used, but not purchased one of the $200 ones yet. I was waiting on you to buy it, and tell me how much you like it.

Old 03-26-06, 02:05 PM
your looking at a one day tile job , rent one

Old 03-26-06, 02:21 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I think mango has it right. I know you're all about buying more tools, rapture, but this is not something to buy if you're only going to use it this once.

Old 03-26-06, 04:41 PM
R
Yes...I see your point about buying tools. This is not one I "need" to have. But, my wife wants a lot of tile in "her" kitchen and both bathrooms. Throw out my addiction to tools...would you buy knowing you were going to use it this much?

Old 03-26-06, 05:35 PM
Im like you on this one , Iv'e never done and tile work but there is lot that will happen around here .

keeping in mind that you will have little tile to cut on each project rental still makes a lot of sense to me . rent one to do the entry way , one day rental , 6 months later rent one to do the kitchen (one day rental ) 6 months later you do a bathroom (one day rental ).

you dont need to store it in the meantime

or if you really want to purchase one rent one first youll be in a much better postion to know what you want having actully used one . for what its worth Ive heard some good things about the cheapo home depot one

Old 03-26-06, 05:56 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I got by with the $99 one, but it was on ceramic, not slate. I think you're in the gray area here as to whether to buy or rent, but I like the idea of renting so as to make a more informed purchase. I think everyone on this site will tell you about all the tools they bought that they quickly realized were not the best choice simply because they didn't know any better until they started using it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: