rusty tools

Old 04-06-06, 10:32 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rusty tools

Anyone know how to remove rust from tools, looking to maybe soak them in something, I've heard of coke, lemon juice? Any suggestions?

Old 04-07-06, 03:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Naval jelly is and has always been a good rust remover for tools. Of course if you check at the harddware and big box stores, there are probably a few more newer things that will chemically do the job. Coke will turn the metal black when the reaction of steel and carbonic acid takes place, and although you may have removed the rust, the original color will be changed.

Old 04-07-06, 05:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It depends on how much rust and corrosion is present. For light to moderate rust, I would just wipe it down with an oily rag. Many tools such as wrenches, pliers, snips and the like are used in dirty or greasy jobs anyway.
For more severe rusting, a wire wheel will remove all of the loose material quickly. I found a pipe wrench in pretty bad shape. After the loose rust was removed, it was still quite pitted, but serviceable. A light oiling and that's as good as it's going to get.
Once a tool is beyond severe rusting, the joints may be corroded together or the leverage weakened such that it becomes a decoration or is discarded.

Old 04-07-06, 06:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Originally Posted by IBM5081
I found a pipe wrench in pretty bad shape. After the loose rust was removed, it was still quite pitted, but serviceable. A light oiling and that's as good as it's going to get.

The best pipe wrench I own I found [badly rusted] in a field 25 yrs ago. I sanded and painted the handle and cleaned and soaked the rest in burnt motor oil for a week or so. I have several other pipe wrenchs that I have purchased new but this one is my favorite - partly because it works the best and partly , well you know

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: