Efficient method of transporting tools?

Old 04-11-06, 01:40 PM
E
Location: Santa Barbara, CA during the summer, Poughkeepsie, NY during the school year
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Efficient method of transporting tools?

Hi guys,

I need an easy way to transport my tools to and from jobsites in new york city. I don't have a car, so figure I need something that will do well on subways and with lots of walking.

The tools I have to move are primarily as follows:

2 cordless drills
1 corded circ saw
1 corded jig saw
1 cordless finish nailer (Senco 14.4v)
1 air brad nailer/stapler
1 small 1-gal hot dog style compressor

Obviously the batteries, chargers, and accessories need to be factored in as well. I was thinking that if there exists a good rolling duffel bag that might be a good solution. Does anyone have specific experience that would be useful? I'd prefer something with wheels so I don't have to carry it the whole way.
Advice or alternative solutions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-11-06, 06:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 826 Posts
I would start with a good sturdy hand truck that has pneumatic (air) tires. Then you need to find something to hold all your tools. Do you want everything in one big bin like a trunk or large box or do you want more individual compartments (stacks of milk crates).

Here's one idea: I'd get my hand truck and tip it all the way back so it is resting on it's handles. Then I would build a lightweight plywood box to hold my tools. The box would have several compartments to help organize things a bit but not too much since getting too fancy will add weight. The open part of the box would be facing up when the hand truck is laying down on it's handle and have a hinged lid that you close before you stand the hand truck up. I would keep it tall and narrow to get through the subway and crowds.

Old 04-11-06, 08:59 PM
U
elschaefer:

Before getting into the family tank business I was a member of NYC Ironworkers Local 580 (located at 501 W 42nd St - corner of 10th Ave) and commuted to from NJ by NJ Transit Bus to the Port Authority and then to jobsites all over the city by way of the MTA Busses and/or Subways. Local 580 is the Ornamental Local - not Structural, so no beams and columns, mostly 'red iron' (stairs, lentils) or sash work. I had to bounce from job to job and needed to carry lots of tools. I was also a certified welder and always needed many clamps, vise grips tongs - plus all the other tools of the trade; hacksaw, hammers, plumb-bobs, tape measures, squares, tap handles, etc etc etc.

I was usually able to get away with using two (2) large heavy duty (canvas with leather bottoms) tool bags made by Klien Tools. I attached shoulder straps for those times the packed subways have no seating. At times I also would use a Tool Caddy - a sturdy masonite tool box (on skateboard wheels) slightly larger than a suitcase. I bought both the Klein Bags and Tool Caddy at ToolTown on Route 17 South in Paramus, NJ. ToolTown has tons of tools, but a good assortment of tool bags/boxes. I also used (and still use) a US ARMY surplus tool bag. Geez this thing is big and indestructible!! I've had it for years, and got it at S-4 Army Surplus on Essex Street in Hackensack, NJ just one block from the Bergen County Courthouse. They still have them, and they stock lots of other surplus bags and boxes that you could put to use.

Riding the trains and busses you should see lots of the NYC Union Carpenters with the Tool Caddy - it's very popular with them. It holds alot yet is manageable on the trains and busses during the cramped rush hour commutes. I'm sure you also see the tradesmen using backpacks of all kinds. It's not unusual to see a backpack with a level poking out here and there in the crowds at Penn Station or GST.

All that said - Lately I have seen many tradesmen in the City now using old SCBA carry cases - some with skateboard wheels, some without, most with. SCBA = Self Contained Breathing Apparatus. SCBAs are the air tanks/masks worn by firefighters. The old cases that the SCBAs come in get second lives as tool totes.

Good luck .... UST guy

Last edited by USTguy; 04-11-06 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-11-06, 09:36 PM
E
Location: Santa Barbara, CA during the summer, Poughkeepsie, NY during the school year
Thanks for the responses, very interesting ideas. I can't find the Tool Caddy, though I was able to find tooltown's website. Because I don't have my own transportation, I don't really have the ability to go to NJ to pick up stuff, but it may be worth checking on an army surplus store in the city for a good army surplus tool bag.

I think I want something that I can fold up when i'm not using it. In the future I'd love to be able to build a road box with anal retentive tool holders for everything, but at the moment I don't have the workshop space or the time to do that, I just need something simple that I can throw everything into and zip or snap up.

There seem to be plenty of the bags for the Dewalt 6-tool kit up on ebay for about $25 shipped. Do you think one of these tied or duct taped to a hand truck would be a good option? There also seems to be a Ryobi bag with wheels selling for about the same price, and it seems like it might be big enough.

Old 04-12-06, 04:43 AM
U
There's Kaufman's Army on West 42nd Street (between 8th and 9th Aves). He used to have lots of carry bags and back packs. Any 'REAL' Army surplus I've bought has lasted a long time. There are imitations ... just because it's OD (Olive Drab) doesn't mean it's real Army. There used to be lots of surplus stores years ago, fewer now. I'm sure a web search for NYC Army Surplus will give you a list to call.

The handtruck idea is okay ...... hmmmm, but it has got to be the type that will collapse or fold - like the kind those lawyers use downtown to schlep their boxes to and from the courthouses. Any other kind of handtruck really isn't all that do-able in the Big Apple.

Bags by Klien Tool can be found at a hardware store on 8th Ave in the 30s ..... even on-line.

Old 04-12-06, 06:02 AM
The OLD military duffle bags were canvas. The newer ones are nylon. If you can find an old one, they are tough and have a carry handle and a strap for carrying over the shoulder. Good luck.

Old 04-12-06, 08:43 AM
I have a heavy duty folding luggage cart that I carry in the truck .

I can stack sevral toolboxs/and bags on it then bungee them down .

Im trying to justify the $$$ but I expect to buy one of these soon
http://www.vetopropac.com/xl.html

something like that for handtools plus a bag for the power tools , strap it all to luggage cart .

something like this would be good

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blue-Max-Mover-F...QQcmdZViewItem

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: