Table saw motor needed

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-11, 03:26 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
guess craftsmen should have used a different bearing

Great to have this thread continue, because I borrowed this saw from my neighbour, and while ripping some 2xs, it started smoking, and I wasn't pushing into a dull blade, or pushing heavy. So when I got around to the possibilities, they all looked bad. Weeks went by and desperate, I turned the computer. ordered 3 new bearings, less than 8$ delivered to Vermont. So I can return the saw rinning, with a spare bearing, and by another saw thats better designed. Any suggestions?

Thanks for saving me a load!!

Old 01-30-12, 06:34 PM
S
Smile Great Stuff!!

New kid on the block here. Bought a 137.248480 from a neighbor for far less than I expected I would ever find. He listed it as having a bad motor, thus the low price. I have an earlier model that I haven't been comfortable with in terms of its accuracy. This option seemed to fit the bill for my 'small-garage-converted-into-a-woodworking-shop' space.
So, here we are almost six years since this thread began. I was anticipating taking the identical motor off my three-year-older tablesaw to replace the motor on my new-found one. This thread has me going another direction, however, of replacing the bearing(s). Before I did anything with the new saw, I plugged it in and turned the switch on to a screeching sound that I thought must be a bearing problem. Now rather than taking that action, I'll try doing the bearing replace job. Maybe I can sell my old saw for what I paid for the new one. Thanks for all your contributions to this valuable thread!!

Old 02-18-12, 12:00 PM
S
Motor Fix Challenge

Hi - here again (same guy as previous post). All the great ideas in this thread got me to a spot I'm not sure how to deal with.
I took the motor of my new (bought from a neighbor) 137.248480 saw to an electric shop who told me the problem was the armature, and that a new motor would be as affordable and wiser than rewinding. I hesitated a bit, then asked them if they could scrap that motor, which they could (and subsequently did!) Bad move on my part. They were very helpful giving me info about when their last pickup was made and the recycler who had taken it, but they had shipped it out a few days earlier.
I had earlier studied the makeup of my older 218740 saw and concluded the motors were identical RM870, just mfg a few years apart. Silly me! The motor housing is also the bracket that serves as the motor mount. They are not the same on the two saws. Had I been a bit smarter, I would have seen if the electric shop could put the housing from the bad motor onto the good motor. Having not done that, I'm attempting to modify the mounting plate in saw 248480 to fit my motor from 218740. Any words of kindness or wisdom from any of you more gifted saw fixers?

Old 07-12-12, 10:47 AM
R
I had the same problem with the rear bearing on my Craftsman 137.248830/ RM871 motor. I was able to cross the Timken P200PP to a CARQUEST 200-CC from my local auto parts store. Had to use a torch to heat up the old bearing -- It came right off , and the 200-CC was an exact fit. Cost was $18. The saw is as good as new.

Old 10-06-12, 05:23 PM
R
Post replacing Gear on Craftsman table saw model # 137.221960

I have a 10" craftsman table saw model #137.221960 the gear has worn out. Motor and bearings work good. I have pulled off the gear and now need a replacement. I have been trying to find a schematic so I can find a replacement gear. However I am not having any luck. Does any one know where I could find the gear? Or a part number for the gear?

Thanks

Old 10-07-12, 04:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
After they go back on line from maintenance, go here http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...Service.action and put in your model number. It is doubtful you will find the gear alone. I have had two "throw away" Ryobi table saws with direct drive, and that's exactly what I did when I priced the gear sector/motor.....threw them away.

Old 02-17-15, 10:18 AM
T
Bearings for RM870 motor

I have a Craftsman table saw, model 137.221940. The motor is RM870.

Motor bearings were shot. Once motor was dismounted and disassembled, one bearing came off fairly easily. The other was galled. A machine shop removed it for $15, which worked out to $1 per ton of pressure required to pull that bearing! Glad I called in the cavalry for that one.

Replacement bearings were 6200zzC3 and 6201zzC3, one of each, from NTN. They were available locally at a motor repair shop. Total bill was $14.

New bearings installed easily, using a deep wrench socket just larger than the shaft to engage the side of each bearing's inner race. Light tapping with a small hammer was enough to seat the bearings. Two minutes of work.

One of the brushes was badly chipped. About one third of the contact surface was gone. The chip was about 1/8 inch deep. A pro at the motor repair shop said to gently flatten the contact surface with a mill file. A few minutes of light filing removed enough of the brush to expose a full-length contact surface. Easy (once you have a good hint)! There's plenty of brush left for years of service, too. The other brush did not need any touch up.

Thanks for all the good info from other contributors. I hope the info on bearings and brush repair will be helpful for someone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: