Adding extra air tank to small air compressor

Old 05-05-06, 06:19 AM
diy_tran
Visiting Guest
Adding extra air tank to small air compressor

I bought a 2.5 HP Makita MAC2400 oil lubricated air compressor a few months ago from Amazon based on great reviews and in fact it's a great and quiet machine. But it's has only 4 gal tank. Doing small stuffs around the house is fine. I plan to do some work on car like changing brakes, etc.

I regret not to get a bigger tank air compressor (at least 20 gal+). Do you think adding an extra air tank (11 gal is max I find) on a side is worth it ?

Old 05-05-06, 06:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, adding an air pig to the system would be an acceptable approach to increasing the initial amount of air available. Realize however that recovery time will be longer since the pump will have 15 gallons of air to bring back up to pressure rather than just 4.
Also, the pump will get very hot from the extended run times, whether you have 4 or 15 gallons available when your usage exceeds what the pump can produce. Having the extra storage works best when using pneumatic nailers (very low air consumption) because it will allow the pump to run LESS frequently.

If you intend to perform auto mechanic work, you will need a larger compressor, not just more air storage. Impact wrench use and tire inflation requires more air than the compressor can produce. You will be waiting for the pressure to recover.

There's a reason why an auto repair business has that 175 psi compressor with a 120 gallon tank and a volume of 25 cfm rather than the 4 cfm that your small compressor produces.

I use an electric impact wrench for that reason.

Old 05-05-06, 06:42 AM
diy_tran
Visiting Guest
IBM5081,

Thanks for info. A long run and better solution is still a big air compressor.

Old 05-09-06, 10:40 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
not worth it

IBM5081 is right, of course. You'll just burn out a perfectly good tool while never really getting the performance you want.

Don't regret buying a small compressor, it'll come in handy for when you need it in a remote room or outside. A lot of guys eventually end up with 2 units - a portable and a stationary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: