Buying tools cut tiles and then keep for other purposes

Old 05-17-06, 06:40 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Buying tools cut tiles and then keep for other purposes

I am planning to install kitchen backsplash myself. Now, while I do know how it is done when you have all the tools, I have a slightly different problem - I'd rather buy tool than rent them - if I have to pay them I'd like to get to keep them.

Now, I am not a pro tile installer and don't need a wet saw myself. Straight cutter is an option but it isn't sufficient by itself and can't be used for pretty much anything else.

My attention is currently focused on small routers and/or rotary tools and appropriate tables. They could be useful to me for other things as well. I'm thinking of models like smaller rotary tools like Job mate or Dremel with appropriate tile cutting bits.

While I could use them to make nice cut-outs, the question is can I use them to cut tiles straight - that is, would they be durable enough to handle about 20 feet of cutting length total and whether they would chip the surface of the tile or not?

I haven't found anyone on the web even mentioning anything of sort. Please help!

Regards,

Alex

Old 05-18-06, 07:37 AM
K
Why not buy a cheap $100 wetsaw at the big box stores? I had one and used it for two baths and a backsplash and when I decided I hated tiling, I sold it on Craigslist. I have only used the rotary cutter for intricate cuts around toilets, etc.-but it was slow and I wouldn't want to do an entire job with it.

Old 05-18-06, 08:50 AM
M
I'm not sure a Dremel would hold up all that long. I think it's pretty much a hobby tool. I recently had to lay some tile and bought a RotoZip and a tile-cutting bit for less than the Dremel costs. And it can be used for lots of other stuff.

Old 05-18-06, 02:50 PM
A
Unhappy Actually I found better options than Dremel, too.

Yes, I also found better options than Dremel. Seem both sturdier and cheaper at the same time.

How about straight tile cutter + rotary tool (skipping the wet saw)... would that be fine?

Alex

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: