Buying tools to cut tiles and keep them...

Old 05-17-06, 06:42 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Buying tools to cut tiles and keep them...

I am planning to install kitchen backsplash myself. Now, while I do know how it is done when you have all the tools, I have a slightly different problem - I'd rather buy tool than rent them - if I have to pay them I'd like to get to keep them.

Now, I am not a pro tile installer and don't need a wet saw myself. Straight cutter is an option but it isn't sufficient by itself and can't be used for pretty much anything else.

My attention is currently focused on small routers and/or rotary tools and appropriate tables. They could be useful to me for other things as well. I'm thinking of models like smaller rotary tools like Job mate or Dremel with appropriate tile cutting bits.

While I could use them to make nice cut-outs, the question is can I use them to cut tiles straight - that is, would they be durable enough to handle about 20 feet of cutting length total and whether they would chip the surface of the tile or not?

I haven't found anyone on the web even mentioning anything of sort. Please help!

Regards,

Alex

Old 05-17-06, 07:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Use a tool meant for the purpose. The big box stores sell relatively inexpensive table tile saws for about $88 that come with a diamond blade. They make good cuts and you don't lose your first born to buy them. You'll spend twice that on spiral cutters, tables, and all the other periphery you will need.

Old 05-17-06, 08:40 PM
A
Unhappy Price is about the same...

Thanks for your response...

I can get the wet saw for, actually, a little more than for a rotary tool + table + carbide bit. Wet saw would not be of use to me later (at least not often), while a router would...

Alex

Old 05-18-06, 04:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You may have good luck with a rotary tool cutting straight lines on tile, but I doubt it. That is why you found no reference to using them online. Using the tools made for a purpose keeps down the posiblity of injury and headaches from messing up your job. But I think your mind is already made up, so good luck with the project, and please be safe.

Old 05-18-06, 04:53 AM
My recent floor tiling job used a snap cutter for the straight cuts. For the contour cuts and those near the edge of the tile, I used an angle grinder that I already owned plus a 4.5" diamond blade outdoors. Quite a bit of dust but it did the job quickly.

Old 05-18-06, 05:05 AM
S
Originally Posted by aleks
...the question is can I use them to cut tiles straight - that is, would they be durable enough to handle about 20 feet of cutting length total and whether they would chip the surface of the tile or not?
No
Not really

I mean, technically one might be able to work it
That's always a possibility
But it's definitely veering over into the bad idea lane

I can pretty much guarantee you'll chip tons, take gobs of time, and it'll look cheesy
You might be able to pick two out of three of those if you're real good

Old 05-18-06, 05:06 AM
S
Originally Posted by IBM5081
My recent floor tiling job used a snap cutter for the straight cuts.
A plumber's chain pipe cutter?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: