Is the Dewalt DW718 really that bad?

Old 05-19-06, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the Dewalt DW718 really that bad?

I will be purchasing a new Miter Saw in the next week or two. It's my new tool for the deck I am building.

When I first started looking at Miter Saws, I was set on buying the Dewalt DW708 based on reviews and the reccomendation of a friend who owns one. Now that they have been replaced with the DW718, I don't feel as comfortable with the purchase.

Should I look elsewhere and avoid the DW718, or am I okay purchasing it? What else should I look at?

I looked through the majority of threads on this site and am now more confused than ever.

I'd prefer purchasing it at Lowe's since I have a 20% off coupon for any purchase. My local HD will not take the coupon.

I will need to miter cut 2x12's for the deck's facing boards, but other than that, everything else is 2x6's, 2x10's and 5/4x6's on the deck.

I do quite a bit of home improvement and have a whole laundry list of work that needs to be done with a miter saw.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-06, 07:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 284 Votes on 260 Posts
I wouldn't be afraid to buy it. I went to a woodworker's show in KC and asked a rep "why the changes?" He explained one of the major changes (the dual sliding pistons are horizontally oriented rather than vertically oriented) and how that is supposed to provide more lateral stability. The front locking handle is a huge improvement over the old Dewalts that used to have the knob.

I also highly recommend the DW723 saw stand, which is well worth the money. They used to have big rebates if you bought either the saw or stand or both. Not sure when those offers expire.

Old 05-19-06, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by XSleeper
I also highly recommend the DW723 saw stand, which is well worth the money. They used to have big rebates if you bought either the saw or stand or both. Not sure when those offers expire.
Thanks for the info. There was no way I would purchase this saw without a stand.

Old 05-19-06, 10:01 AM
I did some checking this morning and I can buy a brand new Dewalt DW708 for under $500. With that being said, should I go with the DW708 or the DW718.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-19-06, 12:18 PM
I went with the DW708. It was too hard to pass up at the price and was still $60 cheaper than buying the 718 at Lowe's with my 20% off coupon.

Old 05-22-06, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by wubears71
I went with the DW708. It was too hard to pass up at the price and was still $60 cheaper than buying the 718 at Lowe's with my 20% off coupon.
I was set to buy the DW718 too. Then I compared it to the Bosch 4410L and the Mikita LS1013L. (Yes, they are 10" sliders, but since I won't be cutting massive crown moldings, they wasn't an issue.)

The Bosch and Makita (and the DW708) have rigid heads. They don't deflect side to side. The DW718 OTOH is pretty soft.

Try this... Extend the head of your DW708 to its farthest. Push the head sideways. You'll find it pretty rigid.

Try the same thing on the new DW718. You'll see that it's much softer. This is a known issue with the DW718.

You made the right choice, IMO.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s., I bought the Bosch 4410L.

Old 05-22-06, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 284 Votes on 260 Posts
I've "heard" from many people who either use, or know people who use the DW708, that after heavy use, the sliding mechanism that is vertically oriented does not cut straight as it slides, but instead will cut in a curved line, like a banana. I would assume this is one of the reasons they have changed the orientation of the sliders to being horizontal.

Perhaps for the occasional user, or someone who treats his saw more carefully, this might not be an issue. We all know how some employees will use and abuse tools on the jobsite. When you are the one paying for it, you treat your tools with a little more care!

Old 09-21-06, 11:20 AM
Dw718

I researched like crazy before purchasing a SCMS. I had read mixed reviews about the 718. I was in a home Depot and grabbed a couple of pieces of crown and baseboard molding and played around with the Makita/s Bosch and Dewalt. In my opinion the Dewalt 718 Smokes the other saws in ease of use and verasatility. Yes the castings are rough but not where it counts on the table and fence. The Bevel index plates is a brilliant piece of engineering. I reccommend purchasing the laser sight for the saw. Makes life even easier. I did purchase the 718, laser and an 80 tooth blade. I am renovating a 15year old home there is lots of trim, crown, tele post enclosures, rounded cornerbeads with 45' baseboard cuts. For (non index) off angle cuts use an angle finder, place on the saw line up the laser, do a little math and pick you angle. Cutting crown is a dream. The high fence is perfect. If you are building picture frames buy a Makita 1013 with the Laser sight. If you are doing house construction and trim, IMO you cannot go wrong with the DW718.