Old Lathe Worth Anything?

Old 05-29-06, 09:17 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Old Lathe Worth Anything?

The garage of my better half’s parents is being cleaned out. Her father recently passed away just a few weeks before his 93rd birthday. Her mother then went to a nursing home. They bought the house new around 1960, and he had tons of tools. Access around the garage is minimal. He had a lathe that we figure is about 65 years old or older.

Here are some links to photos of the lathe. It looks like a Montgomery Ward Power-Kraft. Can anyone tell me if this is worth anything? We have decided to sell it, and am wondering if this may have a market, be worth something to someone, or should just sell it at the garage sale that will be done to clean out the garage. What might something like this be worth? Would a collector be interested?

The Lathe

The Lathe Motor

The Lathe Model Number Tag

Another Label on the Lathe

A view of the whole lathe

Old 05-29-06, 11:10 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the gears are good inside that gear change lever box.
I would say $600 Plus. with the accessories

Old 05-30-06, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I agree, although I would be hard pressed to place a value on it. Certainly don't let it go cheap at a garage sale.

May find some info here:

http://www.owwm.com/

Old 05-30-06, 09:20 PM
W
Thanks for the info. I ran across http://www.owwm.com/ via Google last night, but dismissed it, but looked a little closer this time. Sounds like the lathe was made by Power-Kraft, and sold by Monkey Ward. No other info on that web site.

I was told that the lathe was used recently, and is in perfect working order. If anyone else has any experience or knowledge with this lathe, more info would be appreciated.

By the way, here is another old relic from the garage we will probably hang on to. No idea of age or manufacturer, but it looks old. Old Drill Press

Old 05-31-06, 03:52 AM
Group Moderator
Looks like another pretty good piece. Hard to find the quality of some of those old machines nowadays.

Old 05-31-06, 06:22 AM
W
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Looks like another pretty good piece. Hard to find the quality of some of those old machines nowadays.
Yes, it looks ancient, but lots of room for the table to slide up and down. Don’t see that in many of todays homeowner drill presses.

Here is another tool. I haven’t physically seen most of this stuff, as it was all such a clutter when I was down there, but this was found a couple of days ago. It’s an an old planer, but I’m not sure how it’s going to work. I’ve never seen a planer like this one. We’ll hold onto this till we figure if it’s something we have a use for or not.

Old 05-31-06, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
I would be a little wary of using that one due to safety considerations.

Old 06-08-06, 12:19 PM
The item you have named as a planer seems to me to be an old Craftsman jointer without the fence. Is that old motor just sitting on top of it, or is it in fact attached to the machine?

Old 06-08-06, 12:58 PM
W
Originally Posted by thiggy
The item you have named as a planer seems to me to be an old Craftsman jointer without the fence. Is that old motor just sitting on top of it, or is it in fact attached to the machine?
The photo and description was as how my other half remembers her father describing it years ago. First thing I thought of was that it looked like a jointer, but she says her father pointed out the joiner to her years ago, and that this was a planer. That’s all I know. I’ve never actually seen either item. To me, it looks like a jointer. Yes, that is the motor sitting on top of it. The fence is probably somewhere among the thousands of items in that garage with no one being able to identify it as belonging to this jointer.

Old 06-08-06, 03:57 PM
joiner/planer , my dad had one you could join or surface plane up to 4"

as others have pointed out the fence is missing .

not a particularly valuble item , I see them around for 20-25 or fairly often

similar one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Joiner-Joint...ayphotohosting

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: