Two Small Compressors for Home Use

Old 05-31-06, 04:21 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Two Small Compressors for Home Use

Iíve done some homework, including reading the sticky at the top of this forum. I have a 5 hp 30 gal compressor that I keep in my hangar at the airport, but would like a much smaller unit for my shop at home, and donít want to be dragging the 30 gal compressor back and forth. My use at home would be real light. Mostly for blowing dust off of sanding projects, and other small stuff like that, and keeping air in vehicle tires. Not very likely to run tools. Those little cans of air I keep in my computer room just donít cut it in the shop.

Iíd like some input on these two compressors below. Iíve chosen these two only because they are in stock at the local lumber store. I donít really care about the brad nailer that is included with both compressors, but might find a use for it. I like the Wen because it is an oil lubricated pump, and the hose that comes with it is a coil hose. Small shop, and the coil hose would be easier to deal with. The Porter-Cable is oil-free, and comes with a regular hose, which would be a pain in the shop. The guy at the lumber yard says the Wen is a ďcheaperĒ tool, but a good cheap one. I know Porter Cable is a good brand, but as I said, my use will be very light. I put the larger air compressor at the hangar years ago with thoughts of adding air tools, but never did.

Wen, or Porter-Cable?

Wen 5 Gallon with Brad Nailer $185

Porter Cable 6 Gallon with Brad Nailer $210

Old 05-31-06, 07:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The Wen has almost twice the cfm at 90psi, so if that is important, that is a plus in that column. Other than that, all else is moot except the oil versus oilless. I prefer the oilless on a jobsite. Just too much stuff to check on in a busy day. Stop, make sure the compressor has oil, etc, etc. The oilless will have a quicker recovery time.
Toting this thing will be a pita, so check into some smaller compressors that have wheels, as well before you make your choice, if you need portability.

Old 05-31-06, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Get the Wen since it is oil-lubricated it will be somewhat quieter. Get a small floor dolly (about $10) and set the unit on that to move it around.

Old 05-31-06, 09:16 PM
W
The Wen having almost twice the cfm at 90 psi would seem to be important. The sticky at the top of this forum seems to say the units that use oil are the preferred units.

Neither web page says a thing about how much either of these units weigh, but both units seemed rather light when I lifted them just enough to get a feel for how heavy they were. Iím not sure how much I would move it around, but if necessary, the wheelbarrow would work well.

While the Porter-Cable may be a much more popular brand, I am leaning towards the Wen.

Old 06-03-06, 03:33 PM
W
I picked up the Wen today. The only way I could find out how heavy the compressor is was by stepping on a scale with and without the compressor. I was surprised to find that it weighs 48 pounds. It feels like about 25 pounds max. No problem carrying it around. The1/4" female quick connector that came with the compressor was worthless, and I had to replace it. Seems like it will be a nice unit. Motor doesnít stay on long with a 5 gallon tank. Motor shuts off at 115 psi and will come back on at 85 psi. Air hose is still usable while tank is on building it back up to 115 psi.

Old 06-03-06, 07:29 PM
For home use, the 85-on, 115-off may be plenty. The contractor grade units are 100-on, 120-off (or 135 off with some of the oilless units). I would say that you have thought it through and made a good choice for a DIY situation.

Old 06-03-06, 08:57 PM
W
Thanks. Iíve been retired since September, and spending time researching purchases like this with all the info available via a mouse on the Internet certainly makes the research a lot of fun, and itís great having the time to be able to do it. Being in a small town in a remote location, most of the stuff is not available locally, and the fact that I could go look at air compressors locally, then research on the internet made this decision one of the easier ones.

I did some research and asking questions here at the DIY Forums, and bought an angle grinder a couple of weeks ago to replace a dead one.

I did all research for an airless paint sprayer on the internet for a couple of weeks, then ordered one. Did the same thing with computer components, then ordered them, and build the dang thing myself. Something I never would have done if I was still working. It was a ton of fun.

These forums at DIY have been a nice find.

Old 06-04-06, 05:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by wingspar
Thanks. Iíve been retired since September, and spending time researching purchases like this with all the info available
Ain't it great?

Old 06-04-06, 06:11 AM
W
Originally Posted by AxlMyk
Ain't it great?
Yup. That job took way too much time out of my life.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: