Ingersoll-Rand Impact Wrench oiling

Old 06-08-06, 07:26 PM
Q
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ingersoll-Rand Impact Wrench oiling

Hi, I recently bought an I-R 231HA impact wrench for my lugs and auto work. The old tired 1971 Sears gun finally gave up on me and wow is the new one powerful! I see this I-R lube kit for sale and wondered if you guys can elaborate on the tool's needs. I tried to understand the owner's manual but it is so very vague and brief. I'm used to adding tool oil via the air inlet, which I do at every usage. There is also a grease that goes, I think, into a spring loaded port in the back. This is no zerk fitting, but looks like an oiler. Does anyone use one of these tools and understand the maintenance? Thanks in advance. QR

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-06, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
QR,

I haven't used this particular gun but the instructions should detail the way you deal with the pressurized grease system.
As far as automatic oilers go I personally prefer the single drop before each use.
There is a tendancy for oilers to over oil and when you use one the hose then becomes saturated with oil. The hose you use with an oiler should not be used for dusting, painting or anthing else that you do not want to get oily.

Old 06-11-06, 12:29 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The grease point you speak of uses a needle greaser to inject the grease.

I would recomend either searching in the manufacturers literature for how much and when and with what grease to perform this. If not in the literature, most large companies have help lines you can call for the proper info.

Old 06-11-06, 07:29 PM
R
Oiling Needs

Originally Posted by quickrick
Hi, I recently bought an I-R 231HA impact wrench for my lugs and auto work. The old tired 1971 Sears gun finally gave up on me and wow is the new one powerful! I see this I-R lube kit for sale and wondered if you guys can elaborate on the tool's needs. I tried to understand the owner's manual but it is so very vague and brief. I'm used to adding tool oil via the air inlet, which I do at every usage. There is also a grease that goes, I think, into a spring loaded port in the back. This is no zerk fitting, but looks like an oiler. Does anyone use one of these tools and understand the maintenance? Thanks in advance. QR

Most air guns simply require oiling through the air inlet prior to use as you described. The oiling kits I have seen that mount prior to the air line at the compressor supply a small amount of oil with use. The only drawback in miy mind to that is the oil getting inside of the rubber airline. The spring loaded nipple will take a thin grease that most toolmen (Snap-On, Mac, etc) can supply. You need to do that once a year or so depending on use. You can usaully tell when it needs grease as the gun will sound dry (like a dry bearing).

Old 06-11-06, 07:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
In looking at the unit, it appears the needle grease point is like a spring loaded hub on a utility trailer. You fill it with grease, and the spring tension emits grease as needed until it is depleted. Sure would be handy if it had a zerk, huh?

Old 06-11-06, 07:59 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Ingersoll rand part #230-228 is the grease IR pt #405-MG1 is the grease gun although any needle point grease gun will do.

IR recommended interval is to grease it every 48 hours of use.

Old 06-12-06, 08:34 PM
Q
thanks guys-----I think I will hand oil and buy grease kit.

Last edited by quickrick; 06-12-06 at 08:44 PM.