Table Saw: Bosch, Ridgid, or ??

Old 06-17-06, 05:44 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Table Saw: Bosch, Ridgid, or ??

I am considering buying a portable table saw. It will be used at home. Although I don't need the durability of commercial saws, I do like their other features and am willing to pay extra for them. For example, I bought my first miter saw and it is a DeWalt 708 with the 723 table. The details and the way it cuts really impress me, although I know I'll never use its full potential.

So I am considering:

Bosch 4000-9 because of the quality and accuracy (real or perceived) and the fold=up "Gravity Feed" cart is, for me, a real plus. I also like the larger than normal table size, and the storage for some of its components.

Ridgid TS2400 with folding roller stand because it is about $50 cheaper than the Bosch.

Are there any other saws I should be looking at for $550 or less? I've seen the Ryobi bts 20 and 3100 and I thought they looked kinda junky.

All comments positive and negative are more than welcome!

Old 06-17-06, 06:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I use the 3100 Ryobi every day as a jobsite saw, and have no issues with it. Sure it isn't an expensive saw, but it takes what I give it, and it gives me accuracy, extension back and right table, great fence setup, crank bevel rather than a loose swing type.
The wheeled carriage gives it great portability. The orange big box is having a special on them. Buy the saw and they give you a drill, or saw, or something like that. And for about $200, it can't be beat for the money. As state in your OP, you probably won't use it to it's fullest potential, so why spend all the extra money when a little less will do the same job? Good luck with your choice.

Old 06-17-06, 09:29 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
IMO the Bosch is well worth $150 over the Rigid
It really doesn't get much better than the Bosch, it's a "No Regrets" purchase, you won't "wish I'd..." after a few projects, no matter what they are

Old 06-18-06, 06:46 AM
take a look at this as a table saw alternative

http://www.eurekazone.com/

I recently got one and have been very pleased .

on some other forums I hear peaple talking about getting rid of their table saws after using this a bit . I'm not quite there but I'm close

heres a forum dedicated to it with the designer/builder as a regular contributor

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Old 06-18-06, 07:00 AM
S
Originally Posted by mango man
take a look at this as a table saw alternative

http://www.eurekazone.com/
...fascinating...

Old 06-18-06, 02:08 PM
P
I appreciate the links to the Easycut or Smart cut, but to me it looks like you get a length of extrusion and a mating base to which you must mount your circular saw. Then you must create your own table on which to mount the stuff.

None of the pictures or explanations mentioned that the extrusion has to be attached to something, something that apparently clamps the workpiece as well. I did see a screw holding one of the workpieces (a 2x4, I think) so it wouldn't slip, and when I looked carefully I could see a bolt head in one of the two holes in the extrusion.

Too much work for the diy'er. I was thinking more like something one just unfolds, sets the fences and saw angles, then plops down a 4' x 4' workpiece, cuts it, folds up the saw and is done with the thing. But having never used a table saw, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Looks good at the start, but after a few minutes, I think I'll stick to a table saw that does not require one to build a table...

Old 06-18-06, 08:38 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
If you're not going to be moving it around, a portable saw might not be the best choice - there can sometimes be issues with the saw tipping while cutting big things, like whole sheets of plywood.

Old 06-18-06, 08:56 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I never cut whole sheets of plywood, even on my permanent saw in my shop. Too dangerous.

Old 06-19-06, 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by chandler
I never cut whole sheets of plywood, even on my permanent saw in my shop. Too dangerous.
I agree trying to wrestle a 4x8 sheet on a tablesaw is inviting nothing but trouble and a potenial trip to the ER

on a portable table saw

thats part of the advantage of the Ez-smart . with the "dead wood " concept cutting down sheet goods is no problem . a portable panel saw

set the sheet on the smart table . clamp the guide down and get finished , precise, table saw quality cuts with no chance of kickback . no way to get your hand anywhere near the blade

I can slide a 4x8 sheet off the back off the truck or trailer right on the table and make my finished cuts right there then I only need to carry the finished peices to the assmebley area

Old 06-19-06, 11:41 AM
D
If going portable, you may want to see this thread:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=217182

DWC

Old 06-20-06, 09:10 AM
Handy magazine did a comparison of portable table saws in the May/June 06 edition..

They liked the Bosch 4000-09 and Ridgid TS2400LS.. Ridgid got the top rating over all of the 5 saws they tested..

To me, the Ridgid looks like it would be easier to move around with the way they made the stand handles, but Handy liked the Bosch stand..

Old 01-09-07, 05:39 PM
N
Down to two

Old thread, I know, but maybe there are some new thoughts out there. I'm in the same situation as the OP. I thought I was making progress when I narrowed the field to the Bosch 4000-09 and the Ridgid TS2400. Now, I'm having a heck of a time making a choice between the two.

Bosch = $549 at Lowes. With 10% discount coupon, $495.
Ridgid = $449 at Home Depot. Discounted, $405.

So there's only a $90 price difference (which will pay for a couple of nice Freud blades). Otherwise, I can't see much difference in the two saws. Obviously, if price were the only key, the Ridgid would win.

I want something that can be moved around easily in a pickup truck between two houses for home improvement projects (DIY, not contractor). I'd also like to be able to use it for small hobbyist level woodworking projects. As I understand it, both have standard mitre slots which makes using third-party attachments possible. Both are asian made imports. Both are direct drive. They have identical power and comparable speed (the Ridgid has a little higher rpm). Each has received high marks in comparison reviews. The Ridgid has the superior fence system according to some accounts.

Is this a coin toss? If so, the Ridgid wins just because it's cheaper. Or is there something about the Bosch that should make it the winner?

Please, I've already evaluated the Ryobis, the Hitachis, the Makitas, the DeWalts (and I'm a DeWalt fan), even the Craftsman 21829 version of the Ryobi and ruled them all out as not big (sturdy, heavy) enough, non-standard or too fragile-looking for my intended use.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Thanks,

Ray

Old 01-09-07, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
I like the Bosch's slow start and electronic motor control. Also the way the table splits when you go out to 24". Nice cord wrap, and overall Bosch quality. Portable wheel stand is nice, but Ridgid has it too.

Old 01-09-07, 08:57 PM
P
When two products are a toss-up, then consider the cost and availability of accessories. One might have a wider choice, the other might have less expensive accessories.

If the Bosch you are considering is the grey and blue one with the fold-up cart, all other things equal then I would buy the Bosch. The Rigids I've seen look pretty cheap and shabby compared to the Bosch. I didn't know the Bosch was made in China, I thought it was made in Germany. I'm assuming the Bosch comes with a decent blade but these days, who knows...

Check out the Bosch and Rigid websites and look for accessories and prices.

Old 01-10-07, 04:57 AM
N
Originally Posted by Pipsisiwah View Post
I didn't know the Bosch was made in China, I thought it was made in Germany.
You could be right, and that would be a point in Bosch's favor. I was basing my asian import assumption on the fact that the online manual says it's printed in Taiwan. Maybe someone who owns one can confirm?

Yes, it is the gray and blue Bosch. Both have the fold up wheeled stands. Bosch's stand looks more robust, but they both look pretty sturdy.

The Ridgid is only available through Home Depot which is a minor concern. I'm sure Ridgid would honor the warranty (which is a lot better, at least on paper) regardless and if Homer stops selling them, someone else would surely pick them up.

An interesting bit of trivia is that in the current Lowes ad http://lowes.shoplocal.com/lowes/Default.aspx?action=browsepageflash&storeid=2504524&rapid=356459&pagenumber=1&prvid=lowes-070171-001&promotioncode=lowes-070171-001 , they claim that the Bosch is new and 'only at Lowes'. Not so. I can buy it from Amazon, Sears (online and in-store), Home Depot (online only) and several other online sites. I don't know if that means that Lowes will soon be the exclusive distributor of the Bosch or if they're just making an over zealous claim.

BTW, this was your thread, originally. What did you end up buying?

Xsleeper, you make a good point about the Bosch motor. Although I'm not sure how significant that is, it does sound like it's a better design. The Ridgid table can slide out to the end of the rails, too, but it's independent of the rails which means that when everything is collapsed down and folded up for moving, the ends of the rails stick up with no table extension to help support them. It looks like they could get hung up on something and get damaged. That's why I ruled out the Craftsman 21829. Those rails stick out all over the place and just look like they're waiting to get bent or knocked out of alignment. The Ridgid isn't quite as bad.

Ray

Old 01-10-07, 05:30 AM
S
a few things

I'm surprised it's a toss-up, as I have found Bosch quality to be superior to Rigid
Perhaps it's less noticeable in table saws, more so in compound miters
Not that Rigid is bad, they are actually not bad

There is a BIG difference between made in China, and made in Taiwan

Both HD & L carry "exclusive" products from manufacturers
Almost all of which are de-spec'd
Often they are the same models, and almost the same model numbers
For ex.
PC-102 (tool supply co. tool#)
PC-102/D (HD's de-spec'd exclusive version)
It takes some careful reading and investigating to figure it out sometimes

Rigid is HD's house brand
No other retailer will carry it, unless HD goes out of business, or sells the line
neither one of which is likely in the near future

A "lifetime" warranty is a marketing/sales tool, and is not indicative of quality
It's used to counteract buyer hesitation about substandard (real or perceived) products
And any warranty is for manufacturer's defects, not normal wear and tear
Any defects usually show up rather quickly
To give HD/RGD points, they have traditionally been liberal about this, but are cracking down
Many former lifetime warranty products are no longer lifetime warranty

Old 01-10-07, 01:25 PM
D
I have the Ridgid 3650 table saw and the Ridgid router. Both work quite well and are of fine quality. That said, I am disappointed in the availablity of accessories in the whole Ridgid power tool line. For example, to get a edge guide for the router, I would need to buy a PC as Ridgid does not offer one. IMO, the woodworking magazines should take accessories into account when they do their ratings.

If in the future you plan on purchasing any accessories with your saw, see which company has them available.

DWC

Old 01-10-07, 08:53 PM
P
>>I was basing my asian import assumption on the fact that the online manual says it's printed in Taiwan.

As a tech pubs manager, I can tell you that printing overseas is vastly cheaper than it is in the U.S., even when shipping costs of paper is added in. The moral of the story is the location of the printer can certainly be different than the location of the product.

But who knows where anything is manufactured (printed) these days.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 01-11-07 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Directing members to other forums is not allowed
Old 01-10-07, 11:45 PM
B
I didn't read the thread too throughly but I'm surprised no one mentioned the Dewalt portable which is what I have. Nice how the fence extends past the table at both ends for wide rips and the measurement dial cuts dead on to 1/16" . No more measuring from the blade to the fence with your tape like you have to do with the cheaper saws. I looked at the Bosch but it did not have the extended fence and was actually more expensive. Think I paid just under $600 for the Dewalt. This was a couple years ago now and I'm sure there are better, badder models of both out by now.

Oh and wouldn't know about the blade guard pluses or minuses except it was easy to take off and throw somewhere. (not recommending that folks but it just gets in my way)

Old 05-30-07, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
Just an update...

I now have the Bosch 4000 as a jobsite saw, and it's the BOMB! It has the gravity-stand with wheels and it's awesome. I've gone through two of the Dewalt DW744 saws (like buildpro68 mentioned) and I thought they were nice when they were new, but the Bosch blows them away.

Not sure what Bosch saw BuildPro was looking at, but maybe he didn't notice that the Bosch table telescopes out to 24" when you release a special handle. I suppose you wouldn't realize that if you just glanced at it. Everything about the Bosch is superior in design to the Dewalt, and they are roughly the same price- $549 plus a bit more for the rolling stand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: