Drill a hole in stucco

Old 07-28-06, 11:48 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drill a hole in stucco

What can I use to drill a hole in stucco?

I'm trying to drill a hole on the exterior of my home and my Makita will not work. My dad tried some other tool (which I don't know what it was b/c I wasn't there) but he was sure it was going to work. It didn't.

I'm just trying to put up an outdoor shade thing.

Old 07-28-06, 12:42 PM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Drilling stucco

What is behind the stucco? Masnory? Try a masonry bit with a hammer drill.

Old 07-28-06, 12:49 PM
D
How can I tell what's behind the stucco? What masonry? Cement? I have a masonry drill bit but not a hammer drill. Is there an alternative? I don't want to have to go buy a hammer drill just to do this.

Old 07-28-06, 12:50 PM
You can rent a hammer drill at a tool rental place. Our Home Depot even rents tools.

Old 07-28-06, 01:06 PM
D
Oh yeah! Thanks!

Old 07-28-06, 01:35 PM
a decent masonry bit in your makita will work fine , not as fast as a hammer drill but you can get a couple of holes drilled in less time than it will take to go rent a hammer drill .

(when you say makita what exactly do you mean ? size voltage ? )

I have drilled literelly hundreds of holes in masonry /stucco with a plain ole drill . (I do have a hmmer drill now and its quicker )

Old 07-28-06, 01:42 PM
D
I have a Makita 12 volt 3/8" MFORCE cordless drill. My dad tried using it and it would budge. Maybe I need to charge the battery? He basically said it's not powerful enough.

Old 07-28-06, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
If the stucco is over plywood, drill through the stucco with a masonry bit, then switch to a plain bit for the wood. Stucco over block/concrete - masonry bit all the way [got some experieince recently mounting hurricane panel hardware].

Old 07-28-06, 03:40 PM
D
I'll try it when I get home if it's not to hot outside by then. But like I was asking before...How do you know what's behind that stucco? Will I see it and "just know" once I start drilling? Well...I think either case...I got the tool for it so I'll just do it and go from there.

Thanks guys! I'll post back if I run into problems or if I start drilling everywhere on the exterior or if the exterior of my house falls down.

Old 07-28-06, 05:33 PM
I used a couple of 9.6 volt makitas back in the days when they where the top drilling a lot of masonry so your 12v should be just fine .

use a new bit and put some pressure behind it (push hard )

what size holes are you drilling ?

Old 07-28-06, 07:00 PM
D
Hmmm...I don't know the size but they're not big. They're regular size. I know that doesn't help much but I don't know how else to tell you, but it's to hang a 92" Sun shade. My dad said I should worry about when it rains. If I screw holes into the stucco, water can get through. I don't want to prove him wrong so now I'm in a dilemma.

Old 07-29-06, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Silicone sealant in the hole along with the hardware; no problem. DIY, thump on the surface a few good times with your fist. If it's like a brick wall it's, well...a brick wall. If it seems to have some "give" or sounds hollow, probably plywood. On the screws that I had to run into plywood-backed stucco (about half of the ones I did) I coated the threads with Gorilla glue before running them into the hole - hole is sealed and well-anchored.

Old 07-29-06, 10:55 AM
D
Thanks tow guy. I was able to make the hole but the darn screws won't stay. I gave the wall a hit and it's definitely not wood. When I drilled it went through the stucco and then sounded like metal or somethingr. Anyhow, so now one side will stay up but the other side won't. Kinda like drilling a hole in the interior of a home through the drywall and then having to use an anchor (is that what it's called?) or something. I had to take a break b/c I was getting upset. I tried the gorilla glue thing but it's just not working. I'm going to try and make another hole. If it doesn't work, I'm movin on.

Wait...you mentioned using silicone sealant in the hole? Would that help me in the case I'm having now?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: