Compressor motor doesn't quit

Old 07-31-06, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Compressor motor doesn't quit

If I'm in the wrong forum please direct me? I have a Porter Cable 150 PSI 6.0 SCFM @ 90 3.5hp Max 1.6hp Running 4.5 Gallon portable. No other model information other than a model number on the motor C3151-1.

It gets to pressure and just keeps running. Doesn't automatically cut off. What should I do or where should I start?
Thanks in advance, Ron

Old 07-31-06, 04:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
First, check the pitot tube from the compressor tank to the gray switch. Make sure it is not blocked with trash. If air moves through it, then it is highly possible you have ants or other critters who have built a nest in your switch. With the unit unplugged, take the cover off the switch, clean it out really good with what is left of your compressed air and flip the small lever on the bottom to make sure the switch contacts are moving on and off with demand. Hook it all back up and try it. If all this fails, you may have a bad diaphragm in the switch, and it is too easy to change the switch out. Post back if we can help further.

Old 08-01-06, 05:45 PM
O.K. Tube had small amount of rusty water in it. Cleared it, replaced it and pump still doesn't quit.

I removed the tube again and the connector it attaches to on the side of the switch. I could see what looks like / might be a spring inside but DID NOT remove it. It looked rusty?

I'm pretty handy at mechanical stuff so if I need to remove whatever I saw and clean it, just tell me what to expect?

The switch looks new and the report of the Off/On switch is solid!

What is the best way to proceed? Should I just change the switch? Does this attachment that I found with the spring in it come with the switch? What do switches normally cost?

As always "Thanks in advance", Ron

Old 08-01-06, 06:22 PM
Ron: You can diagnose the switch, clean it, etc., but for $10-15 more or less you can change out the switch, and not have to deal with the rusty water. Make sure you are draining the tank every few days. Getting rusty water in the pitot tube sounds like alot of water or the compressor was accidentally turned on its side.
Another thing to check. You said it was reaching top pressure but would not turn off. It should be blowing off the overpressure switch. Do you hear air escaping anywhere? Push in the pin on the overpressure switch just to make sure it isn't leaking.

Old 08-01-06, 06:54 PM
Chandler: The connector with the spring in it...is that what I'm replacing or the entire black box it's attached to?

Old 08-02-06, 03:50 AM
Ron: If you plan on going ahead and replacing the switch, it will be the entire box that is screwed into the body of the compressor.
Be sure to use teflon tape or a sealant when you put in the new one to prevent leakage. Now, you may try to run a bit of WD40 or some other lubricant up into the area where there is rust and try to free it up with a small probe, but I believe replacing the switch will better serve you. Post back if we can help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: