Need Help for a craftsman 2 stage compressor problem

Old 08-12-06, 11:58 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Help for a craftsman 2 stage compressor problem

I have a 7 hp. 2 stage craftsman compressor. ran into a problem with it, takes for ever to build up pressure. the compressor runs, it had started making a louder noise,like something broke??This is the second craftsmans compressor I have which did this. took the covers off, can't see much as it looks pretty simple,pistons are moving,must be some type of valves/ in the heads? not much to take apart,don't want to do any extra work which isn't neccessary. Maybe someone has run into this problem. what would it take to fix the compressor?Thanks in advance.

Old 08-13-06, 05:32 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
Look in the head for some reed valves. They are just strips of sheet metal and can crack or break.

Old 08-13-06, 05:40 PM
S
I Took The Heads Off Today,not Much That Could Go Wrong. There Is A Piece Of Metal Which Is Slightly Bent Up.i Ordered The Parts Today Plus Gaskets And Rings,should Fix The Pronlem.thanks For Getting With Me.

Old 08-22-06, 10:57 PM
P
Originally Posted by ssaza
I Took The Heads Off Today,not Much That Could Go Wrong. There Is A Piece Of Metal Which Is Slightly Bent Up.i Ordered The Parts Today Plus Gaskets And Rings,should Fix The Pronlem.thanks For Getting With Me.
I have a single stage Craftsman compressor that exhibited your problem right down to the noise. Took the compressor head off and found one of the metal reed valves on the exhaust side had a broken chunk about half the normal size, and therefore my compressor would not pump above 60 psi.

My question to you my friend is where you ordered the parts from?? Craftsman wants to sell me the entire head/valve assembly when I believe replacing the three fingered metal reed valve will fix the problem. I would appreciate a pointing in the right direction. Thanks much!!

Old 09-01-06, 12:33 PM
H
Originally Posted by Panhead1
I have a single stage Craftsman compressor that exhibited your problem right down to the noise. Took the compressor head off and found one of the metal reed valves on the exhaust side had a broken chunk about half the normal size, and therefore my compressor would not pump above 60 psi.

My question to you my friend is where you ordered the parts from?? Craftsman wants to sell me the entire head/valve assembly when I believe replacing the three fingered metal reed valve will fix the problem. I would appreciate a pointing in the right direction. Thanks much!!
I'm working on the same problem -- plan to try cutting a new reed valve with a dremel tool. The tiny screw doesn't want to cooperate with being removed. That's headache #1. The valve material looks like spring steel. Haven't matched it yet. Might try using part of a flexible plastic (teflon?) spatula head...it claims to take heat up to 400 degrees. Also, a google search on "reed valve" turned up instructions for cutting one (from metal) using electrochemical etching. Let me know what solution you wind up with, and I'll do the same!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: