Air Nailer combo's

Old 08-25-06, 09:23 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Nailer combo's

Has anybody seen any good buys lately on an Air Nailer combo kit. Looking preferably for a compressor, Framing Nailer, and Finish Nailer. Brad Nailer would be nice but not necissary. I was reading the Fine Woodworking & Fine Homebuilding tool review 2006 (yes i know it's old) and they said that craftsman was bringing out a combo this year with all 3 nailers, 25' of hose and a twin tank compressor for $350. For that price there's absolutely no way i would pass it up. I'm pretty new to alot of this (i'm 20 and just doing my first DIY project on my rental home) but i'm eager to learn and planning on going back to school next fall either for general construction or maybe finish carpentry and would like to get more tools to help me down the road and now with my small projects.

Old 08-25-06, 01:56 PM
You're going for a combo to save money, right? Well, there's more than one way to get what you need at a price you can afford while still obtaining name-brand stuff.

Nailers, staplers, bradders - consider used, refurbished or eBay.
Air compressor - about $240 new. You can pay less but it will take longer to recover air pressure.

Locate where the framing contractors and finish carpenters buy their equipment. Gotta be able to get parts and nails for whatever you get. You will need more than 25' of hose and it can be 1/4" size. I typically use 50-100' of hose so that the noisy compressor can be near the electrical outlet and away from the work area.

Old 08-25-06, 02:11 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Have you priced framing nailers on their own? They cost enough that I'm a little skeptical about a kit with one and a compressor for $350. Keep in mind that if it's only for nails, you don't need much compressor.

Old 08-25-06, 07:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The orange big box has a combo sale on a Dewalt double hot dog with framing nailer for about $350. They have others with finish and brad nailers with pancake compressors, too.
The main thing is thinking about where you will get it serviced should it break down. Can you do it? Do you have to give it up for a month while being serviced?

Old 08-25-06, 09:26 PM
T
Like it's been stated, there's a money to BS ratio in tool purchases. I found that it's just not worth it to by tools just because they're the lowest price.

On the subject, I purchased the Porter Cable trim combo kit last winter for under $300. It included the compressor, trim gun, and brad nailer. I am extremely happy with the guns. They have worked well for me almost on a daily basis. The compressor was solid but was a little too loud for my tastes so I sold it. If noise wouldn't be an issue, you should have no problem, or like IBM, invest in some looooooooooong hoses. You won't be able to find a good, durable framer for under $200. I believe it's just not going to happen. I've used the Senco framer for 10 years or so. This past spring, I picked up a Porter Cable framer because I liked the Porter Cable trim guns better than the Senco trim guns since i got those. It was $229 and I actually like it better than any one I've used in the past. Also, you need to consider the cost of quality hoses. You could spend $10 to $20 (each) on some hard, junky hoses every six months or spend $40 to $50 (each) on some durable, flexable under any temperature hoses every few years.

The most important thing to stress though is;

Always take care of your tools. Oil the guns regularly. Don't drop 'em, kick them around, or throw them down. Most importantly, in my opinion, the gun is never substituted for a hammer, no matter what the circumstances, even just for a tap (anyone out in the field knows exactly what I'm talking about). I try to keep my tools working for me as long as possible and believe me, when they do, they work best.

Old 08-26-06, 11:06 AM
I agree with Troy's comments. An oilless compressor such as the PC is tolerable with long hoses because it does not matter what angle it's tilted. My compressors are oil lubricated and quiet but they must be kept flat and level while in use.

I have a used Paslode ($179) that works great. Obtained from a framer supply, not a pawn shop. It had been used as a hammer so the top seal leaked a bit. I took it back to the supply store (where they repair pneumatics as well) and it has worked great ever since. The PC's that Troy mentioned can be obtained refurbished. One thing to note is that the clipped-head PC and round-head PC are IDENTICAL except for one tiny letter on the label. Don't mix the nails or you will jam it up.

If you DO get a compressor with less than 2 h.p. be prepared to wait for 30 seconds while it recovers pressure. That can get old.

Old 08-27-06, 02:02 AM
M
Thanks for the replys guys, i will keep all of your tips in mind as i look. Does anyone know of any online places to look for refurbished or used tools other than ebay or should i just start hitting up all the stores in my area.

Old 08-27-06, 08:01 AM
D
You can check out Amazon (not quite sure if they have refurbished items there) but I have found them to be quite cheaper than wherever else I look. At times you can get free shipping and there are rebates. You can also check out DIY's superstore. Do some searching 1st as you will find good prices at the tips of your fingers!

Well...most times at least.

Old 08-27-06, 12:07 PM
Google for 'framing nailer refurbished"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: