Craftsman Fence Guide System- Basically Flawed??

Old 08-31-06, 07:48 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Craftsman Fence Guide System- Basically Flawed??

Being a starter with a table saw, I bought a be-all, do-all guide that I thought was a pusher. Sears PN 32371, it straddles the rip fence and pushes the work piece past the blade.

Or so I thought. Problem is, the foot has graduated push notches on its front rather than a hanging "claw" at the rear. Unless I'm missing something major, this means the entire tool is positioned behind the workpiece rather than on top. In that position it is extremely unstable because none of it rests on the workpiece to keep it from skewing or rising up.

So what AM I missing? $20?

Old 09-01-06, 04:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Judging by the picture here:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&cat=Power+Tool+Accessories&subcat=Table+Saw&pid=00932371000

Looks like the stepped notches are used at the rear of the workpiece depending on the thickness of the board. I also notice a holddown piece being used with the other hand. Frankly it looks like way too much engineering went into it.

Old 09-01-06, 04:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
It looks as if the government designed it. Way too much overkill. I use a simple hard plastic push device with a built in handle and notch for pushing that I bought at big orange on both my saws, and it allows me to cut as thin as 1/2". Cost about $6. I use feather boards to keep things tight to the fence.

Old 09-01-06, 07:08 PM
P
It's supposed to do other things such as 45 and 90-degree blade settings and some other stuff. However, I think a decent pusher should hook to the back of the work piece and extend forward at least a foot so that the user can apply downward and outward pressure to the workpiece to keep it on the table and against the fence.

I'm going to the big orange tomorrow and will take a peak around.

Old 09-02-06, 06:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
In case you haven't left yet, I looked on my trailer, and it is made by Vermont American, is black and looks like an augmented triangle with a handle in it. Works great.

Old 09-09-06, 08:11 AM
P
I took a look at it a couple nights ago. They wanted $10 for it, so I shined it on. I have another I bought at Lowes for $12 that I'll use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: