buying level for infrequent projects

Old 09-01-06, 08:40 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
buying level for infrequent projects

I've made some wall shelves and now that I'm done being proud of myself I need to buy a level. I heard that laser levels aren't that great. What do you think is a good and not real expensive household level for a home toolbox? also, out of curiosity, what did they do for leveling in previous centuries? They seemed to do a terrific job with low tech!

Old 09-01-06, 09:11 AM
Wink

A 2ft level is about the best to have for all round work. Get a metal one.

ED

Old 09-01-06, 09:17 AM
I would get a '2 and a torpedo level

what you want is a level with a VIal and bubble .can probabaly got both for less than 10

Old 09-01-06, 12:26 PM
M
Thanks folks. I just got back from the lumber yard. They always have the nicest people and best advice. I got the 2' level that they recommended. Not at all expensive. Now I can start my project over the weekend!

Old 09-01-06, 02:13 PM
B
In the old days they used a weight and string to determine level (plumb bob) A string against a right angle straight edge. Of course determining plumb, the method really hasn't really changed in centeries.

Old 09-01-06, 03:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
And after you determine the plumb line, you could incorporate the Pythagorean Theorem to determing the length of the hypotenuse of the triangle formed by a string from the base of the plumb line to the top of a string at the length you want......oh, nevermind, you made a good choice. Keep it from sudden jars and check it frequently to make sure it does the job for you. Good luck with your project!

Old 09-01-06, 04:22 PM
Wink

All this over a 2 ft level. Ok lets test the level also, you can . Set the level on anything dont have to be dead level. Now look where the bubble hits a line or other mark in the level. Now turn the level 180o like end for end keep the same side down. Put it back in the same spot and see that the bubble hits the same marks.
You say your just starting out. Do you bend a lot of nails when you drive them into the wood???
Test your hammer. Hold the head of it down on something like a table make sure the head is flat to the table like if you hit a nail. Now see if you can put your hand around the hammer handle. Or do you raise the handle some to get you hand around the handle .lots of brands and some that cost a lot the head is not right to the handle .

ED My .02 cents

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: