Riving Knife and AK Pawls

Old 09-03-06, 07:37 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Riving Knife and AK Pawls

I have a new Craftsman table saw and am having a problem getting the anti-kickback pawls to position right. Specifically, the one on the righthand side wants to drop into the throat plate when the blade is close to the bottom.

The riving knive is centered nicely over the blade and about an 1/8 inch away from it. The lefthand pawl rides on the throat (and scratched the paint away ) , and bending the righthand pawl doesn't do the job because I would have to bend it very close to its pivot pin. Any ideas?

The saw is the model with the fold-up wheeled stand, the routing table insert, and cost about $425 (sorry don't have the model number here).

Old 09-04-06, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 49 Posts
Rather that mess with the anti-kickback device I would be inclined to let Sears deal with it.
There are some serious safety concerns when this safety device does not work properly.

Old 09-04-06, 04:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree with GregH. You have quality tool, and it would be unsafe to modify the safety devices. Make sure the pawls are installed correctly, and let Sears deal with the offset. You may want to install a zero clearance throat plate. I use them exclusively, and it prevents anything from falling into the blade slit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: