remove rust spots on table saw

Old 09-08-06, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
remove rust spots on table saw

I have a 10" table saw with a polished iron table surface. I am getting rust spots in various places and would like top know A) how to remove them. I looked for naval jelly but can't find any; CLR doesn't work real well. B) how to keep the rust from reappearing.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 09-08-06, 05:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Naval jelly is the best. They sell that stuff at our grocery store, so I should suspect most hardware stores an big boxes should handle it or a competitive product. The last thing I do when I leave my shop is put a light spray of OneLube on my tool surfaces, table saw, planer, joiner, drill press, etc.

Old 09-08-06, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
joeperi,

If it is only minor surface rust some WD-40, a nylon "Scotch Pad" and some elbow grease may remove it.

Old 09-08-06, 09:17 PM
Tried the big box store for naval jelly with no luck. Didn't think of grocery store will try that. I tried WD-40. Got some rust off, but still not good enough. Has anyone ever tried Brillo or SOS? I'm worried adding a water based product will make it worse!

Old 09-08-06, 09:56 PM
Wink

Just get some Med emery paper That will do it.Put it on a small block of wood and sand. For later on if you live by the sea you sure find out that you live with WD 40. When done with the saw light spray of WD 40. I spray my hand tools the same way.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: