Help please with question on Porter Cable Nailer Kit??

Old 09-19-06, 03:37 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help please with question on Porter Cable Nailer Kit??

I am looking at purchasing this kit:

Porter-Cable CFFN250NR Brad Gun & Finish Nailer Kit

I realize it says it is for finishing. Do these nailers work with framing nails also?
Thanks!

Old 09-19-06, 04:07 PM
M
No

Framing nails require a framing nailer.

Old 09-19-06, 06:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Several categories of nailers/staplers for specific jobs. Framers, Finishers, Brad nailers, narrow and wide crown staplers, Floor staplers, Roofing coil nailers, Siding coil nailers -- may have missed a few, but you see each job requires a particular tool, and it can get expensive. That's why there are locks on my jobsite trailer.

Old 09-20-06, 04:26 PM
That kit has included:
Brad nailer, 1.25" maximum length. I have one of these bought separately. Works OK for quarter-round but is too short for some trim if drywall is behind it.
Finish nailer 16 guage. This is a good unit and will do many things. If you want to do crown molding, this is the tool.
Compressor - this is an airless unit, so it will be louder than oil-lubricated. It won't care if you set it on a slope however. I would recommend getting extra air hose so you can put it outside or in a utility room and shut the door.

Consider getting the refurbished version of this kit to reduce cost. There is also a kit with just the finish nailer and compressor.

The same compressor will run a framing nailer which must be obtained to drive framing nails. Consider reconditioned models there as well.

Old 09-20-06, 07:01 PM
B
Thanks Guys

THere is actually a unit on Costco.com that I may end up going with. It is oil and comes with a brad gun. Then I am going to get one of those palm nailers.

Thanks again!

Old 09-20-06, 08:56 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I have the kit with brad and finish nailers and crown stapler. I'm thinking of getting rid of the compressor - it's so dang loud you can't stand to be anywhere near it when it's running. If I do, I'm going to replace it with something with more CFM.

Old 09-20-06, 11:45 PM
The palm nailer is a bit slow but extremely controlled. I only use mine for Simpson hangers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: