underpowered bandsaw -- help

Old 10-30-06, 04:09 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
underpowered bandsaw -- help

I have a small band saw that is so underpowered it will not even cut 1/2" lumber. Can I put a different motor on it to provide more power? It currently has a 1/3 hp 1300 rpm motor. What model can I upsize to? Thanks for the help

Old 10-30-06, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
You could likely replace any motor but how your saw is set up will determine if it is worth it or not.
How much is the saw worth compared to the cost of a larger motor.
One thing you have to consider is that the saw may only be strong enough to handle the motor that came with it.

What make and model of saw is it?

Old 10-30-06, 04:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You could upgrade the motor, but what you have should do the job. Release the saw band and check the bearings of the upper and lower flywheels to make sure they are running true and freely. And don't shoot the piano player....check to see the band is installed correctly. No kidding. I had a guy who had bought a chain saw and got so frustrated he threw it in my trash barrel on my truck with a few expletives. As it turned out he had installed the chain backwards. Never saw him again, so I just turned the chain right and had a great little saw.
What brand saw do you have and what is the belt size? This may help further if all else fails.

Old 11-01-06, 03:25 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bandsaw brand unknown

I don't know what brand the band saw is. It says it is a 7 1/2" throat with at 120V 2.2 A 1/3 hp single phase motor. The band length is 56 1/8" and the blade speed is 3600 sfm.
I shall check the bearings and how the blade is installed.

Old 11-01-06, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
When you say that the motor draws 2.2 amps for a 1/3 hp motor I would have to guess that this is an inexpensive, light duty saw.
It is quite common for mfr's to not report hp correctly which seems to be the case with what you have.
A common 1/3 hp motor at 115 volts should draw between 4.5 and 6.5 amps depending on the type of motor.
Your maker did what is common on air compressors and that is to state the horse power of the motor when it is locked up, which is also the hp at which it will burn up.
I would say that your actual running hp is likely quite a bit less than 1/4.

This being the case I would say that you would have to think carefully about spending much money on it.

You still might be able to to use it like it is as chandler suggested.
One thing I have found is that a band saw cuts better if you have new sharp blades with teeth type and pitch that match what you are cutting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: