air compressor trips breaker upon starting

Old 11-23-06, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
air compressor trips breaker upon starting

i have a craftsman a.c. that is about 4 years old. i went to use it about a month ago and it would not run. as soon as i turn it on to fill it trips out the breaker. i tried moving it to outlets on other breakers and it does the same thing. any advice as to what to look for would be greatly appreciated. not very familiar with this type of equipment. also i believe it is about a 31 or so gallon approximately 5 or 5.5 h.p. horizontal.

Old 11-24-06, 02:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 45 Posts
I moved this thread here, so you might get better advice.

I would think you have either a short in the switch (could be in the pressure switch too) or in the motor. If the motor hums a second or two before tripping the breaker, I would suspect the pump.

Old 11-24-06, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
Need a bit more info to be able to help.

Can you tell us exactly what model you have and what is the voltage and amperage of the motor.
Tha amps and volts can be found on the motor itself.
Also, does it trip the breaker immediately upon turning it on or does it hum for a couple of seconds first?
Is this a belt drive unit and if so can you move the flywheel on the compressor? (Make sure it is unplugged first when trying it.)

Old 11-24-06, 01:06 PM
J
72chev -- here are a couple ideas from my recent troubles with my craftsman compressor. Something is probably adding friction to the piston -- maybe rust etc. Take the covers off and turn the fan manually and see if there is a lot of resistance. If there is mild resistance than I suggest you remove the tube from the compressor to the tank and try starting it and running for a while. It may take a couple tries to get it going. It should then free up and allow you to start it with the tube back in place. I assume there is no pressure in the tank when you try to start it. If there is pressure in the tank when you are trying to start it, there is a good chance either the check valve is frozen open or the tube unloader valve is not releasing the pressure in the main line. Last, you cannot run these compressors with an extension cord. They have to pretty much be on a outlet that is close to the breaker box and not have anyhting else on the line. Good Luck.

Old 12-04-06, 08:42 PM
air compressor trips breaker

model # of the air compressor is 919.167340, 33 gallon, 6h.p.
motor is ser 2h01, 3450 rpm.115 v, 60h, type k, sf 1.0, ph 1, fr56z, it also says time cont. it is an a.o. smith ser k56a67823, serial # on compressor is 2102124685. turns manually with no resistance, it does trip the breaker immediately upon starting. my uncle seems to think it is the motor. how can i be sure of this?

Old 12-04-06, 09:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
We once bought a new Campbell Hausfield and it did the same thing. After we got our fill of diagnosing the problem in vain, I took the motor apart and found an extra drive key stuck to the magnet in the armature, which lodged against the frame whenever it started, and bound the motor and tripped the breaker. However, I was getting the telltale stall when energized.
Yours sounds like an electrical problem more than mechanical.
Another thing I did was to convert it to 240 volts at the peckerhead and change the plug.

Old 12-05-06, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
There is a parts list for your compressor here:

http://www3.sears.com/Paul/document_search.asp?bnd_id=0247&prd_typ_id=0703000&model_num=919167340&doc_id=&model_desc=AIR%20COMPRESSOR&

A motor shop would be the one to confirm for sure the motor is gone.

If you have and can use an ohm meter you could do a basic test yourself.
You could try to see if the motor windings are shorted to ground.
Disconnect the motor and with the meter set to the highest ohm setting probe the case of the motor and each of the motor leads in turn.
If you get any reading then the motor windings are shorted to ground.
If not set the meter for a low reading and probe the two motor leads.
Should be in the range of 100 ohms or so. If zero while on a low setting then the motor is shorted.

A simple test that sometimes gives you a clue is to smell the motor end of the pump to see if you can detect a burnt odor.

Old 12-06-06, 07:31 AM
J
72chev -- try one more thing -- take the cover off the pressure switch and see if it runs with the cover off. If it does, the cover may be putting side pressure on the contacts and the fix is to put the cover on somewhat looser. Also check the contacts and make sure they are clean and actually making contact and not binding. The contact design on these switches is marginal at best. I know you already know this however as a reminder, please make sure you check this with the unit unplugged. Last -- do you own a 72 chevy if so what model, engine etc. I have a 66.

Old 12-07-06, 08:53 PM
air compressor trips breaker

thanks guys i will try these few tips you've told me. i do have the cover off the pressure switch and it will not run with it off either and the contacts look good and clean. yes i do own a 72 chevelle ss with a 454 motor, 4 speed, lemans blue. that is my pride and joy.

Old 12-12-06, 09:43 AM
J
72Chev -- Here is one last thing to try if you have not -- try bypassing the pressure switch and see if the motor runs without tripping the breaker. The 72 Chevelle sounds like a great car. I assume it is dark Blue which is an outstanding color. I have one of those plastic 66 cars -- a coupe - it is a big block 427/425.

Old 12-12-06, 11:54 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Here's something I am suprised no one has mentioned..

Hit the motor housing with a _rubber_ mallet a few times around the casing.

If it has surface rust holding the armeture, the mallet should break it loose.

This method has worked for me on motors that haven't been ran in a while and are exposed to the elements (like pool pumps).

Old 12-12-06, 07:05 PM
air compressor trips..

i did try bypassing the pressure switch and it still tripped the breaker, i will try the rubber mallet trick next. actually the 72 is more of an aqua or teal color...white top..black interior..i have one of those models also. the 72 and darker blue..

Old 12-13-06, 09:46 AM
J
Originally Posted by 72chev View Post
actually the 72 is more of an aqua or teal color...white top..black interior..i have one of those models also. the 72 and darker blue..
Not sure i have ever seen one in that color -- I have seen a kind of silver blue and nassau blue but not teal. Is it a rare color ?? Wow a corvette too -- what else do you have ??

Old 12-15-06, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by jl66redcpe View Post
Not sure i have ever seen one in that color -- I have seen a kind of silver blue and nassau blue but not teal. Is it a rare color ?? Wow a corvette too -- what else do you have ??
no no, it is a 72 corvette color.. don't have a vette, only like the old old vettes. i ment i have one of those plastic models also it is the dark blue. only have one classic car..it is enough.$$ add up quick.

Old 07-26-11, 11:11 AM
I have model 919.167311 and it is blowing the fuse after it runs for about 1 second. How do you bypass the pressure switch? I also own a 72 Chevelle.

Old 07-26-11, 07:30 PM
Welcome to the forums! It's a 5 year old thread. Why do you want to bypass the pressure switch? It's there for a reason. You probably have a faulty unloader.

Old 07-27-11, 06:41 AM
Thank you. My search for answers pulled up this old thread. My compressor is blowing the fuse after being on for about 2 seconds. After some reading it is possible the $91 pressure switch is bad.

Old 07-27-11, 11:59 AM
If it runs for two seconds (does it indeed run?) then it is not the pressure switch. Also, $91 is an insane price for a pressure switch.

Old 07-27-11, 03:21 PM
$91.76 is the price for the Sears replacement switch. To say it is "insane" is putting it lightly. It's outrageous! I couldn't believe it. I still believe it is your unloader and not the switch, unless there are wires touching inside it. Can you remove the cover to be sure? The motor could be locked as well, since it has no separate compressor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: