is my framing nailer bad?

Old 12-28-06, 05:16 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is my framing nailer bad?

I just picked up a used Central Pneumatic 28 deg. framing nailer off ebay that was advertised as tested and working great. When I hook up to my compressor there is a decent amount of air leaking from near the trigger.

Having never owned a framing nailer before is some air leakage normal or are one or more o-rings shot?

Thanks!

Old 12-28-06, 06:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It does sound as if the trigger washer is not seated properly. Try oiling it with about 4 or 5 drops of nail gun oil through the male air fitting on the gun prior to hooking up the air. As the oil works itself into the gun, it may help seal the trigger to where it no longer leaks. If not, you will have to get it repaired.

Old 12-28-06, 07:28 PM
B
Thank you Larry. I did give the oil a try but it still leaks.

Old 12-28-06, 07:46 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'd try to return it to the person who sold it to you before going to the hassle and expense of having it repaired. After all, they told you it was working and it's not.

Old 12-28-06, 08:09 PM
Central Pneumatic is harbor freight brand , kind of low end . not terribly expensive new from harbor freight

not worth putting a lot into a repair

try to see if yo can send it back

if you paid with paypal you can file a dispute if the item doesnt work

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=325&pricetype=

Old 12-29-06, 04:20 AM
You only have two choices in this matter. Throw it in the garbage or try (TRY) to get you money back. Good Luck. If you buy cheap, you get cheap.
My nailers cost over $300 each. When they wear out into the garbage and buy a new one. Thats just how it is. It does not matter wheather I like it or not. This is a throw away world we live in. Yes, your nailer is at the low end of the chain. Sorry about that.

Old 12-29-06, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
Jack- next framing nailer you wear out, please send it to me! I'll put a kit in it and add it to my collection!

With our friend's problem though, I doubt that parts are available for such a cheap model of gun. I guess it's possible that it's a look alike of another brand.

If air leaks from the trigger, the trigger kit is very easy to replace. I worked on my roofing gun myself a few months ago. The kit cost about $20 and it took about 10 minutes to fix.

As was mentioned, since this was purchased from ebay and was not as advertised, I'd just send it back.

Old 12-29-06, 04:52 AM
B
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Yeah, I knew it was a low end HF nailer when I bought it, but for the infrequent light use I intend to use it for I figured it will be alright. I really just grabbed it to finish the other half of my basement. Beyond that it will probaly sit alot.

I've bought lots of stuff on ebay, and this is luckily the first bad item I've ever received. I'll see what the seller's reply is.

Any chance I can replace the o-rings in the trigger with some generic rings from HD or Lowes, or are they special rings just for nailers? I don't know that a rebuild kit would be available for these guns from HF.

Old 12-29-06, 04:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
If you can match up the o rings you will be ok. I have several HF tools and sometimes they use odd ball sizes. I'd call HF tech dept and see if you can get a rebuild kit for it. I got one for their finish nailer about 10 yrs ago.

Old 12-29-06, 05:03 AM
B
[QUOTE=XSleeper;1098007]
I worked on my roofing gun myself a few months ago. The kit cost about $20 and it took about 10 minutes to fix.
QUOTE]

That's almost as much as the nailer cost me. LOL!

Old 12-29-06, 05:18 AM
Roofing nailer trigger kits are fairly common. Stick nailers are harder to find.
XSleeper, I will give you the next worn out one. In fact I will bring it down and you can buy me coffee. Have a good day.

Old 12-29-06, 05:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
HA HA! Okay, that sounds like a great deal. Heck, we can even go to one of them fancy coffee shops.

Old 12-29-06, 05:46 AM
B
Jack, just post your address and your town's garbage collection day for us! LOL!

Old 12-29-06, 09:02 AM
A brand-name framer takes a while to wear out. Of course, if they are not lubricated according to schedule, they wear out quite a bit sooner. When they are used as hammers to bump some framing into place, that can cause a leak as well, due to distortion of the aluminum bodies.

Old 12-29-06, 09:15 AM
B
I called HF, it sounds like they'll shoot me out a new o-ring for free if I can pinpoint which one is bad. The tech said maybe just one is not seated properly.

Ebay seller also offered a partial refund if I need to buy a new o-ring kit. :-)

Old 12-29-06, 11:43 AM
M
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
Jack- next framing nailer you wear out, please send it to me! I'll put a kit in it and add it to my collection!
Sleeper, you have any use for a BEA 16-gauge 7/16 crown 2" staple gun? In pretty rough condition with a slight leak around the muffler... Still shoots and sinks them. I've kept it for years thinking I was going to rebuild it and... got a brand new one - still can't bring myself to just throw it out.

Old 12-29-06, 02:14 PM
As mentioned, lubrication can be the life of nailers. However, be aware, some nailers don't require oiling as they have ceramic cartridges. Oiling them may affect the way the ceramic works. Just beware.

Old 01-11-07, 08:26 PM
B
Success! I sent the leaky nailer back and just received a new one today. Works great! basement...here I come!

Old 01-14-09, 08:22 PM
C
Repairing framing nailer

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
It does sound as if the trigger washer is not seated properly. Try oiling it with about 4 or 5 drops of nail gun oil through the male air fitting on the gun prior to hooking up the air. As the oil works itself into the gun, it may help seal the trigger to where it no longer leaks. If not, you will have to get it repaired.
Do you know of anyone in Georgia that works on framing nailers? Water froze in my Central Pneumatic nailer when the temp went down and the trigger won't activate. It hadn't been oiled properly before I got it so it didn't survive the freeze. i'd like to get it fixed if possible.

Old 01-15-09, 03:51 AM
We have one guy locally that works miracles. I'll PM you the info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: