"Cross match" a compressor model

Old 01-21-07, 11:23 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
"Cross match" a compressor model

A guy near me is selling a Craftsman air compressor, model 919.177541, and I'm considering it. I went to download the owner's manual from Sears and it's not available; I called Sears and they said it's made for Sears by DeVilbiss. Went to the DeVillbiss site and they have a download capability but I don't see a way to cross-match from the Sears number to a DeVilbiss number.

Any ideas for how to match numbers? Basically I want to see if this compressor can be switched from 220 (its current configuration) to 115; whether it's oil or not; and what is the CFM at 90 PSI.

Any ideas? Thanks!

PS: Thanks for the FAQ on compressors- I like making an educated choice!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-07, 02:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you can find a Devilbiss compressor, similar in volume, motor size, etc. it should match up as far as cfm is concerned. You can look at the compressor and tell if it is oiled or oilless, since the oiled one will have a fill and check hole near the bottom. As far as changing it back to 120 volts, look on the motor nameplate and see if it is a dual voltage/amperage motor. If so, you can remove the nameplate cover and switch a small buss bar and the plug on the cord end to a 120 volt plug.

Old 01-21-07, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
By looking at the parts breakdown for your unit it is a belt drive oil type pump.
The replacement motor for your model number is shown as a 4 hp.
The hp ratings shown for these types of units are exadurated but other makes showing this hp are normally in the range of 6 [email protected] 90 psi.
A 6 cfm air compressor is normally the largest size unit that will work on a 115 volt, 15 amp circuit.
6 cfm also happens to be a pretty handy size as it can operate a good range of tools.

You will have to look at the motor on this unit to see if it can be converted to 115 volt because mfr's are not always consistant on what type of motor they use, especially if you try to compare a similar DeVilbiss.

How old is this thing and how much does he want?

Old 01-21-07, 03:21 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Thanks, GregH and Chandler

I'll inspect the motor for switchability- if I get a chance to see it. The ad said "older unit" without giving the age, and he's asking a hundred bux. He's not answering his phone, so I'm hoping that doesn't mean "sold."

Thanks again!