oiless compressor vs oiled

Old 01-29-07, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
oiless compressor vs oiled

I posted before about my RED craftsman 33gal 2hp compressor popping my 15A breaker after it reached around 90psi in the tank. I will eventually be running a new dedicated line but right now its almost impossible with the weather and ground being frozen. I did however borrow my neighbors compressor to see if his would work on the same outlet. He had the Craftsman Pro 2hp 25gal Hot dog type which is an oiled compressor.

Its seems these two compressors are of the opposite ends of the spectrum. But odd thing is his ran fine on my outlet. I have chosen to return mine this week sometime, mainly because the hot dog type fits under my work bench area and is capable of running sanders and sprayers better.

Any idea why this compressor worked on my 15A outlet and the current red series one I have didn't. They are both rated pretty much the same with AMP draw at 120V. I did notice the 33Gal Red one I have runs at an extremely higher RPM rate then the pro series oiled one so not sure if thats the cause or not, plus the pro series and an oiled lubed 2cylinder pump (maybe easier to fill up?) I believe the RED 33gal ran at like 3300RPM and Pro ran at 700+. I'm not getting my hopes up that this will solve my problem because I have read of the breaker trip with this compressor as well but it just seems its not as common.

Anyone have any insight on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-07, 08:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You are probably pulling at least 12 amps static while the oilless is running, and close to 15 when starting and especially near the end of the cycle, when the compressor is working against the motor. So installing the dedicated 20 amp line should help in this matter.
The two cylinder compressor is having to work less, since it gets twice the compressed air per rpm.