Need Electric Nail Gun Suggestions

Old 02-05-07, 08:08 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Electric Nail Gun Suggestions

I am installing new baseboard & door mouldings, and need advice on an electric nail gun to buy. I am a senior & have no use for a compressor & all that. I will be using it for only this project, but it must have enough oomph to drive the nails required. I've seen lots of advise on compressors, but that is not what I am interested in. I have a small electric staple/brad gun, but that isn't powerful enough & doesn't do 1" nails. Any help out there for an old broad??

Old 02-06-07, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The battery powered finish nails are quite handy to have around. I use a compressor and finish nailer in my job, but keep a Dewalt 18 volt angle nailer on the truck for those 4 or 5 nail jobs to replace broken or missing trim. However.....get off your pocketbook, it cost $400. Now, an option would be to rent one for a few days to complete your job. It so much better than dragging that hose up stairs, and all over the house.
Let us know if we can help further.

Old 02-06-07, 06:01 AM
W
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Nailer

I use a Paslode 16 gauge cordless finish nailer to install doors and baseboard. This nailer drives 16 gauge nailes up to 2 1/2 inches long.

I almost forgot. The Paslode is not totally electric. It uses a battery and a fuel cylinder.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 02-06-07 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph.
Old 02-06-07, 09:31 AM
I
I considered renting one, but I'm doing all baseboards & door & window frames in my whole house...don't think I could do that all myself in one day with all the trim cutting to do also (nothing seems to be the same size). I certainly don't want to spend $400, anything cheaper that will actually drive brads? Maybe I'll just run by Lowes/Home Depot & check out what those guys have to say. I suppose if it doesn't work, I can always return it...although that's a big hassle.

Old 02-06-07, 12:19 PM
W
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Nailer

You may find a good buy on a used nailer on EBay.

Old 02-06-07, 12:41 PM
P
Nail gun

The 2 guns named are very good. I now use an air nailer for depth control. I had the arrow and I had ahard time getting the depth deep enough. Cheap does not make the grade.

Old 02-06-07, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree the $400 is alot of money to spend on the Dewalt, but, like Wirepuller's, it shoots 2 1/2" nails in oak, and has an adjustable depth control, as well as rapid firing with a change in a switch. This one actually works on an internal compressor, unlike my old Senco (RIP), AirFree which was battery powered and relied on double cables to do the work. After they both broke, and the repair was going to exceed what I paid for it, I bought the Dewalt. You would do well checking with the big box stores to do a "hands on" type feel of the guns available.

Old 02-06-07, 05:08 PM
P
Originally Posted by imgja View Post
I am installing new baseboard & door mouldings, and need advice on an electric nail gun to buy. I am a senior & have no use for a compressor & all that. I will be using it for only this project, but it must have enough oomph to drive the nails required. I've seen lots of advise on compressors, but that is not what I am interested in. I have a small electric staple/brad gun, but that isn't powerful enough & doesn't do 1" nails. Any help out there for an old broad??
There are several guns that will do a pro job from Paslode & DEwalt but your talking about over $300.00. Balck and decker has a 12 volt one thaT seARS SELLS FRO $189.00. I hadan Arrow pro model but it did not recess the nails, it always left just enough up that you had to use a nail set. I would try the Black & Decker, with sears you can always take it back and go for the Dewalt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: