Is Black&Decker junk???

Old 02-09-07, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Is Black&Decker junk???

I seen the commercials for the new 24v black&decker drill. I have a black&decker 3/8 120v drill I got for christmas about 10 years ago and Ive abused it when I used it and so far its held up great. About 2 years ago for christmas we got my dad a 19.2v craftsman set with drill circular saw and sawzall and so far its not looking good for another year. Before that we got him a 18v and it was a great set, its been through hell and back for about 4 or 5 years before the batteries quit working and we bought him the new set. This 19.2v didnt impress me like the old 18v did. So I was thinking about about getting me something besides a craftsman and I seen this black&decker 24v and it seem like a fair price but is it a peice of junk? I never had a cordless black&decker tool.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-07, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
We're not allowed to bash name brands here, and I personally have not used the 24V B&D tool in question, so my comments aren't based on experience. But let me offer my own general opinion of B&D.

First, corded tools can't be compared to cordless tools at all- that's like comparing apples to oranges. Secondly, B&D is a stereotypical "homeowner" type product. I don't think their quality would stand up to the every day commercial type of labor. For occasional use, I am sure that it would work just fine. I don't know anything about the quality of the batteries, but one thing I have heard is that some batteries will degrade when they are SELDOM used, in the same way that batteries will wear out from CONSTANT use. Cordless batteries often will not hold a charge for months on end. You might charge a battery 100%, put it away for a month, and expect to come back and have a fully charged battery. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. And this is something that eventually gets worse as batteries age.

Many people are pleased with HD's line of Rigid drills, and some say they have a lifetime warranty or at least an extended warranty on batteries, which appeals to many homeowners and professionals alike. Personally, I'm a 18V Dewalt user and am very happy with all my tools. And no, Dewalt is not the same as B&D... they are separate entities.

I wish I could give you a better answer, but it's kind of like the old addage, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Except in this case, it's tools. Am I saying tools are beautiful? maybe so!

Old 02-10-07, 07:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
B&D owns Dewalt, Porter Cable, and a few others..
They've been cheapening all the tools lately, and people are starting to complain..