water out of air compressor

Old 02-10-07, 09:13 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water out of air compressor

Hi all,

I was just using my air compressor to blow some stuff and water started coming out of the end of the attachment. Why did it do this. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-07, 10:06 PM
Wink

Cause the air it put in the tank and compress had water in it. You should check and drain the bottom of you air tank now and then. Check and see that no water is there. That would be like with a paint gun and some other things you have to put a water trap in the line.
I dont know how old your tank is . But you can have a lot of rust in it.

Old 02-11-07, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
A water trap installed before any pressure regulator and draining the condensate from the air tank before and after each use would help a lot as Ed suggested.

Another thing to consider is that if your compressor is grossly undersized and runs continuously when being used you could be condensing moisture in the hose itself.
The longer the compressor runs the warmer the surface of the air tank gets.
As the surface of the tank warms up less moisture will condense inside the tank carrying moist air into the hose where it will condense and spit out of the outlet.

Old 02-11-07, 09:17 AM
R
Maybe I should install a water/oil separator. Where should I install it and does it have to be vertical etc. when installed. Would be nice to be able to install it at the end of the hose right before the attachment.

Perhaps I could try one of those Disposable In-Line Filters for water in the pipes. I don't know how effective these are though. Thanks

Last edited by robj; 02-11-07 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-11-07, 10:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You will want to dry the air as soon as it comes out of the tank. Having the separator at the too end won't work, as you can't turn the separator on its side. It needs to remain upright and stationary. But as the others have stated, prevention is the key. Open the drains daily when you are through. I think this serves two purposes. One, draining the tank of moist air, and two, relieving the pressure that is on all the seals, valves, etc in the compressor. I have one of the twin hotdog roll about Ridgids, and evacuate it daily before I load it up on the trailer.

Old 02-11-07, 05:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
The water seperator/filter works best if you can mount it away from the compressor but really that is only feasable in a shop with dedicated air lines.
With the exception of painting, draining the tank [or at least bleeding it off] regularly should prevent most of the moisture problem.