Another Miter Saw Question

Old 02-21-07, 06:11 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Another Miter Saw Question

I know I know it seems that half the questions here have something to do with "which miter saw would be best" I have been reading and reading all the post about miter saws, but still have to ask the question for myself. I am researching and looking for the best buy for my situation. I recently bought my first house. It was a mess so we had lots of work to do before we could move in, (tile which was fun to learn, electrical which i needed lots of help with, drywall, plaster patching, molding). Before this point I had not done much work like that, but now love to do it. I am looking for a miter saw. I will be doing some trim work, and other misc. work around the house.

I want to buy something that is going to last, cut well enough to do crown, and something that will cut a 4x4 for another project. One problem is 10' or 12'. Can i do this with a 10'? The other problem is brand. I am looking for good quality and longevity. I don't want to have to buy this saw over again in 5 years when I could be getting another tool with that money ya know what i mean. so any suggestions?

Old 02-21-07, 08:00 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A lot depends on your budget. If all you need to cut is some trim work and the occasional 4X4, a 10" miter saw will do the job. If you plan on doing any additional framing carpentry in the future, a 12" sliding miter saw can't be beat.

Old 02-21-07, 08:03 AM
M
How are you set up for room? And what are you looking for in terms of portability?

I'm asking because a 10 inch compound does not take up a whole lot of space and is easy to carry around to where you need it. On the other hand, a 12 inch slider is bound to be a stationary tool.

Old 02-21-07, 10:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
A compound miter can usually make it easier to cut larger trim pieces than a standard miter saw.

Last edited by marksr; 02-21-07 at 10:37 AM. Reason: correct info
Old 02-21-07, 11:00 AM
C
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Blade changes

I always seem to get change back whenever I give my two cents, but- shouldn't the original poster be concerned with blade types? A fine blade for crown molding will cut 4x4s, but not forever; a coarser blade for 4x4s won't do as good a job on molding. Right?

Not challenging, just asking.

Old 02-21-07, 11:18 AM
F
Once I get the saw I will purchase the proper blades for the job. I guess my concern is 1. size and it sounds like a 10' will do what i need, and 2nd brand. Am I going to get the life out of a Rigid (or something of that caliber) or should I go with a dewalt or bosch, are they worth the extra money, will they last longer.

Old 02-21-07, 12:24 PM
D
It sound like a 10" Compound miter saw would be good for your application. I'm currently in the market myself and I'm leaning towards the Makita or Dewalt as I hear the Ridgid has problems with the tolerances on bevel cuts (Love my Ridgid 3650- Table Saw). Can't go wrong with a bosch - if you can justify the expense.

Good luck and let us know what you get and how well it works.

DWC

Old 02-21-07, 12:43 PM
C
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Check out Craigs List

Another source of equipment: Craigs List is a free classified ads website- there's a tools section. Go to CraigsList.org and choose your city or state. I've seen good mitre saws going cheap near here.

Old 02-21-07, 12:55 PM
W
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Mitre Saw

Consider the maximum width board you want to cut when deciding between a 10 inch or 12 inch model.. My 10 in. mitre saw will only cut a 5.5 in. wide board.

Old 02-21-07, 12:59 PM
F
good call....I think I will go with a 12 as to not be wanting later. Thanks guys! this is a great site

Old 02-21-07, 02:57 PM
J
I'd start with a second hand 10". If you end up needing more, then put your money in a 12" slider (and keep the 10").
I got a little 10" hand-me-down craftsman several years ago. I always knew I'd need more, but it got me by. A couple years ago I went for the Dewalt 12" dual bevel slider. I absolutely love the Dewalt, it's my "shop saw". If I need to load up, I take the 10" Craftsman (unless it's a big "job" and I can set up the Dewalt there). *note: I'm not a pro anymore, used to be, now I'm a regular DIYer, do a lot of projects at home and alot of helping friends, etc. with their projects. I didn't actually start aquiring alot of tools until I "retired" from carpentry.
My rule of thumb is start small, if I find I'm using the heck out of the tool and it's not cutting it any more, then I go all out.
JC

Old 02-21-07, 03:05 PM
J
I'm not sure if my point was as clear as I ment it to be (above).
I find having one of each ideal as they each have their advantages.
Start small though, then you have a better idea of what you need if you need to upgrade.
JC

Old 02-22-07, 08:58 AM
F
Thanks for all the responses and advice.....I just found the Bosch 4212L 12" Dual Bevel Compound Miter saw with Laser Tracking for $322 I have looked around other places and it is listed over $500! This seems to be a good price for this saw, would anyone agree? I have heard that Bosch is a good brand does anyone know anything about this saw? Is it a nice one?

Thanks guys

Old 02-22-07, 10:37 AM
W
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Bosch

This looks like a nice saw. 15 amps is plenty of power. It has nice features. Is it new or reconditioned?

Old 02-22-07, 11:38 AM
S
Can't say for that specific model, but all the Bosch Miter/Table saws I've ever used/tried were always the best at what they do
They usually are a little over-featured for a new DIYer, (even not-so-new ones) but that means they are usually a regret-proof purchase
You can't later wish you'd stepped up, because there is no step up

Old 02-23-07, 10:59 AM
T
Brand selection

FYI, I bought a new 10" Ryobi for $150. I'm finishing a garage and have used the crap out of it. It cuts clean, is accurate and can be stored easily. Like you I read many, many reviews, and so far I am very happy with this saw. I figure if it wears out in 5 years, by that time they will have newer models with better features anyhow.

Old 02-27-07, 06:22 AM
F
Well thanks for all the advice guys, I ended up getting the Bosch 4212L which is a 12' CMS. I got it reconditioned for $309 which is a really good price, considering that it has the same warranty as a new one! I should have it soon and cannot wait to put it to use!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: